Saturday 6 July 2024

"That Tiresome Lady Architect": Mrs Annabel Dott

Five years ago, on Thursday 21 February 2019, I published here the first of my pieces on the redoubtable and remarkable Mrs Annabel Dott, woman architect and builder.  I first came across her when I read the entry for Goathland in a copy of the old Harmsworth's Universal Encyclopedia, Volume 6:
Goathland.  Parish and village of N.R. Yorkshire, England.  It is 8 m. S.W. of Whitby, on the N.E. Rly.  Here is a cottage colony for disabled officers.  Goathland Moor lies 2 m. S. of the village, and is noted for its cataracts.  Pop. 519.
I had never heard of the cottage colony for disabled officers and I was intrigued.  In the end, I found I had written twelve posts after the introductory one, which is called Mrs Annabel Dott & the Goathland Homes for Officers.  On the way I encountered other Dott enthusiasts.

And now two of them, Lynne Dixon and Dorothy Reed, have written a wonderful book


I'm afraid the cover looks a little bent - that's because I had started reading it greedily before I remembered to photograph it.  I recommend it highly!  Buy it from Brown Dogs Books.


No comments:

Post a Comment