Sunday, 30 March 2014

The family of the Revd Henry Clarke of Guisborough (1813-61)

I have just come across these notes made by the late Miss Grace Dixon, noted Guisborough historian.  They end with a lovely reminiscence of Guisborough in the early twentieth century:

Henry Clarke, master mariner of Whitby, died 1780.  Wife was Joan.

Henry Clarke, only son (presumably to have survived infancy?) married Elizabeth, who was buried in Guisborough 30/7/1827 aged 79, described as "widow of H. Clarke, late of Whitby"

Henry Clarke, solicitor, (1785-1862) married Elizabeth Hutchinson of Guisborough in 1811.  He had a brother John and 3 sisters.  He was in Guisborough in the early C19.
Elizabeth was born Guisborough and died 1862, aged 75, one week after her husband's death.
Both were buried in Guisborough.

Reverend Henry Clarke (1813-1861) not born Guisborough, married (1840) Catherine Francis Dawson, b Ripon.  She died 1852 aged 33.  First wife.

Children:
Henry Savile, b1841 married Helen Weatherill; 3 daughters
John William "Jock" (1842-1921) married Marjorie Gow of Cambs in 1877; no children
Rev Arthur Dawson b1843, living 1922.  Became priest in 1883, but in holy orders only until 1889
Francis (1845-1900) Professor of Music in Guisborough
Cecil James b1846
Catherine b1849
Reverend Henry married as his second wife Ann Louise Weatherill in 1857.  He became incumbent of St Nicholas, Guisborough, in 1836 when two of the Williamson family, father and son, curates, died of cholera.
He was the first incumbent to inhabit the new parsonage of Guisborough from 1859 but did not live to see it become a Rectory.
A plaque in Latin was erected to his memory on the south side of the chancel in the church.
Ann Louise Clarke survived her husband and remarried.

John William Clarke was the Land Agent to the Gisborough estate, and must have had many differences of opinion with Wm Richardson in the latter's work for Guisborough Council.  Mrs Channon [the late Mrs Diana Channon, daughter of William Richardson] remembers seeing Mr Clarke
"turn out of his stable yard at Kemplah House to go up to Gisborough Hall in a dogcart with a 'Tiger' with top hat and cockade on the back seat and a dalmatian dog running underneath.  All of them (except the dog) suitably clad.  A lovely sight."

No comments:

Post a Comment