Thursday, 27 June 2013

People of Hutton Rudby in the C18/19: Williams to Wyndham

... from my working notes ... accuracy not guaranteed ... for explanatory note, see post of 14 Feb 2013


Williams

23 Nov 1808:  Jane Williams was an occupant of property on East Side, bought by Joseph, Thomas & William Whorlton [East Side deeds]

George Williams witnessed the Will of Thomas Passman on 20 Oct 1828


Willins

FQ 560:  2 & 3 Nov 1829:  ppty bought by Jane Willans widow in Enterpen:  garth of 1r 3p where a cottage formerly stood, formerly occ by John Miller, then by George Wilson, Mary Young & Hannah Young, then by Matthew Richardson jnr, then by John Burden, bounded by Thomas Wayne to N, E & W, and by street called Enterpen to S; with the houses “lately erected upon the garth” & now occupied by Simeon Burden, John Smelt, Paul Oates, John Goldsbrough, William Jowsey, Abraham Holdgate and William Burnsides

GG 130:  31 Oct 1835:  Thomas Spence of Hutton weaver & Dorothy his wife (1) Henry Collins of Stokesley gent (2):  2 houses now used as one, the weaver’s shop adjoinging & the garden or orchard of 1r behind, occ by Thomas Spence; the butcher’s shop adjoining the weaver’s shop occ by William Sherwood:  bounded by Lord Falkland to E, street to W, Mrs Kingston to N, Edmund Taylor to S; also Gowdie/Gowlay Hill Garth 1a with cowhouse occ by Thomas Richardson:  bounded by John Charlton to E, by Francis Stainthorpe to W, by street to N, by Jane Willans & Edward Meynell to S; also house with garden & garth behind 2r, occ by William Merrington:  bounded by street to E, William Wood to W, John Seamer to N, John Rymers & Francis Stainthorpe to S; also 3 closes formerly 2 closes called the Cottager 7a, previously occ by William Braithwaite as tenant to William Spence decd:  bounded by Robert Halliday Dobson to E, George Hunter & William Ableson to W, by Rounton road to N, by Richard Johnson to S; “& all other the messuages lands tenements and hereditaments formerly belonging to Thomas Smith late of Hutton yeoman decd and comprised in his Will”

1841 Census:  Mary Willins 45 independent with John Sayer 20 schoolmaster, Enterpen

1851 Census:  Enterpen:  Miss Mary Willins 56 independent b Hutton Rudby, with lodger Miss Mary Garbutt 50 independent b Nunthorpe

“Principal inhabitants” signing the record of exchange of bounties on 28 Sep 1857:  Robert Braithwaite, John Rickatson, George Wilson, Henry Willins, John Robinson, Thomas Sidgwick, John Sidgwick, George Davison [Terriers]

1861 Census:  Maurice Drummond 28 (S) Primitive Methodist minister b Prudhoe, lodging with Miss Willins

Henry Willins was churchwarden 1865-8

1872 Post Office Directory:  Hutton Rudby:  Henry Willins, grocer, linen draper & post master

Oddfellows Board:  Bro:  Henry Willins, Hutton, 24 Nov 1887, a65




Wilson

William Wilson of Hutton was left “a Coat and Waistcoat after the said Thomas Eland has chose one first” by James Young, weaver of Hutton – Will proved by Robert Brigham on 25 Jan 1811.

c1775:  birth of James Wilson, who died at Hutton 14 Jul 1865 a90
c1785:  birth of Isabella Cowens, sister of James Wilson, who died at Hutton 24 Mar 1851 a66

30 Jan 1798:  James Wilson married Mary Straker, Gateshead [IGI]
Children of James Wilson & Mary Straker baptised at All Saints, Newcastle between 1798 and 1812:  William, James, John, Henry, Jane, Matilda, George and Edward [IGI]
18 Dec 1808:  George, son of John Wilson & Elizabeth Bainbridge, baptised All Saints, Newcastle [IGI]
12 Aug 1810:  George, son of James Wilson & Mary Straker, baptised All Saints, Newcastle [IGI]
9 Jun 1836:  Ann Hutton married George Wilson, St Andrews, Newcastle [IGI]

James Alder Wilson c1838-1910: Wadham, Oxford:  Rector of Crathorne 1878
Allan Bowes Wilson c1839-1932.  Hutton House.  Estate £105,000+
Thomas Bowes Wilson 1845-1929:  marr Maria Hutton:  children:  Capt George Hutton Wilson 1878-1915, solicitor, marrd Nora Limary:  Lt Col John Hutton Wilson 1880-1917:  and Mary Hutton Austin.  Enterpen Hall.  Estate £54,000+
John George Wilson 1849-c1930:  Solicitor, Durham:  marr Miss Eade.  Estate £56,000+
Annie Hutton Wilson 1856-1947:  “wasn’t allowed to marry” by the family [Wilson descendant]
John Bowes Wilson’s life was saved in the Boer War by a sergeant who was awarded the VC [Wilson descendant]
George Wilson’s family were friendly with the Garbutts of Hutton Grange [‘Letters to a Miller’s daughter’]

George Wilson came to the village ca 1830s as a clerk to Clark & Plummer, and was a linen manufacturer in his own right by 1841.  He took over Hutton mill and by 1851 is listed as linen & sailcloth manufacturer.

FQ 560:  2 & 3 Nov 1829:  ppty bought by Jane Willans widow in Enterpen:  garth of 1r 3p where a cottage formerly stood, formerly occ by John Miller, then by George Wilson, Mary Young & Hannah Young, then by Matthew Richardson jnr, then by John Burden, bounded by Thomas Wayne to N, E & W, and by street called Enterpen to S; with the houses “lately erected upon the garth” & now occupied by Simeon Burden, John Smelt, Paul Oates, John Goldsbrough, William Jowsey, Abraham Holdgate and William Burnsides

GZ 204:  2 May 1842:  Thomas Spence late of Hutton weaver but now of Middlesbrough baker & shopkeeper (1) John Snowdon of Stokesley shoemaker (2) Thomas Sidgwick of Hutton linen manufacturer (3) George Wilson of Hutton linen manufacturer (4) reciting indres of 1839:  John Snowdon had lent Thomas Spence £90 with £4-17-5d interest also owing, on Spence’s property on East Side:  Spence sold Sidgwick the house (formerly 2 houses) & garden for £180, the mortgage to be paid off:  the garden & orchard to be sold to Sidgwick was staked out and contained 33 p; previously occ by Thomas Spence and now by William Meynell; the rest to be sold to John Oates; mortgagee George Wilson

GZ 206:  May 1842:  Thomas Spence to John Oates for £50:  the 2 shops, one formerly a weaver’s shop and now a carpenter’s and the other a butcher’s shop, with the ground behind now staked out and measuring 9 p:  now occ by William Meynell, William Sherwood and John Oates:  bounded by Thomas Sidgwick’s purchase from Spence to E & N, by street to W, Edmund Taylor to S; mortgagee George Wilson

In May 1833, George Wilson and John Eland took out Letters of Administration of the estate of John Cook, as his creditors.

Tithe Map:  George Wilson occupied nos. 157, 158, 159, 161:  house, outbuildings & yard owned by James Emerson:  above Tisbut Row, on North End

George Wilson was churchwarden in 1838

1840 Whites:  Hutton Rudby:  George Wilson, linen manufacturer, Enterpen
1840 Whites:  Hutton Rudby:  James Wilson, gent
1840 Whites:  Hutton Rudby:  Edwin James Wilson, surgeon

1841 Census:  James Wilson 65 independent born out of county, and Henry Smith 20 linen weaver, South Side
1841 Census:  Robert Wilson 60 linen weaver, Elizabeth 65 and Robert 20 linen weaver, with John Mudd 20 shoe maker and Rachael Mudd 20, Robert Mudd 2, North End
1841 Census:  Edwin Wilson 35, his wife Sarah 25 and William 3 and Edwin 1, with servants Miriam and Frances Peacock 15, North Side
1841 Census:  possibly Layton House:  George Wilson 30 linen mfr born out of county and family, Mary Wilson 17 born out of county, Mary Eden 15 servant, Michael Sidgwick 18 draper & grocer and William Wood 20 farmer, Enterpen
1841 Census:  Butter Hill:  John Wilson 12 servant with Thomas Legg
1841 Census:  Middleton, cottage:  John Wilson 30 labourer born out of county and family

George Hutton Wilson died in infancy 8 Aug 1842 grave248 – not in PRs

‘Stokesley News & Cleveland Reporter’, 1 Jul 1844:
Births:  On Tuesday, June 25th, at Hutton Rudby, the wife of Mr George Wilson, linen manufacturer, of a son

‘Stokesley News & Cleveland Reporter’, 1 Sep 1844:
Births:  On Tuesday, July 16th, at Hutton Rudby, the wife of E.J. Wilson, Esq., Surgeon, of a son

1851 Census:  Hutton House:  George Wilson 39 linen mfr b Newcastle, Ann 34 b Kildale, Thomas Bowes 11 and John George 2;  with servants Hannah Preston 20 b Rudby and Sarah Sedgwick 17 b Hutton
1851 Census:  South Side:  Elizabeth Wilson widow 73 pauper weaver’s widow b Carlton and son Robert 32 handloom weaver linen b Hutton
1851 Census:  South Side:  John Wilson 34 ag lab b Hutton, Sarah 22 b Carlton, and children Mary Ann 3 and Francis 6 mths, b Hutton
1851 Census:  South Side:  James Wilson widower 76 householder retd agent, b Woodhouse Northumberland, and granddaughter Matilda Churnside single 19 housekeeper, b North Shields, with his daughter visiting:  Mrs Jane Inigo 43, shipowner’s wife, b Newcastle
1851 Census:  North Side:  Edwin James Wilson 45 licentiate of Apothecary’s Hall, General Practitioner b Stockton, Sarah 35 b Armley, Yks, and son Alfred 6 b Hutton, with stable boy William Raper 16 b Hutton

“Principal inhabitants” signing the record of exchange of bounties on 28 Sep 1857:  Robert Braithwaite, John Rickatson, George Wilson, Henry Willins, John Robinson, Thomas Sidgwick, John Sidgwick, George Davison [Terriers]

1861 Census:  Hutton House:  George Wilson 50 sailcloth mfr b Newcastle, Ann 45 b Kildale, James 23 commoner Wadham, Alan 21 sailcloth mfr, and Ann Hutton W. 5;  cook Elizabeth Ann Hold 28 b Durham and housemaid Elizabeth Sidgwick 18

“The Doctor is changing his housekeeper again” letter from E Garbutt 17 Aug 1863:  [Letters to a Miller’s Daughter]

Jun 1866:  George Wilson led a subscription to assist Thomas Garbutt, donating £10
Jun 1866:  E J Wilson gave £5 to the subscription for Thomas Garbutt
Jun 1866:  Rev James Alder Wilson gave £2 to the subscription for Thomas Garbutt
Jun 1866:  T Bowes Wilson, Sunderland, gave £2 to the subscription for Thomas Garbutt
Jun 1866:  Allan Bowes Wilson gave £5 to the subscription for Thomas Garbutt
Jun 1866:  John George Wilson gave £1 to the subscription for Thomas Garbutt

1868:  E J Wilson wrote verses to celebrate the marriage of Henry Passman

George Wilson “has the acct” of “money in hand given by Miss Righton &c”, and was in charge of the Bathurst money in 1868-9 – Barlow’s Notebook

1871 Census:  Hutton House:  George Wilson 60 sailcloth mfr emp 24 men & 9 women & landowner, Ann 55, Allan Bowes 31 and Thomas Bowes 26 both sailcloth mfrs;  cook Ann Milestone 18 b Hutton and housemaid Mary Jackson 18 b Hutton

1872 Post Office Directory:  Hutton Rudby:  Edwin James Wilson
1872 Post Office Directory:  Hutton Rudby:  George Wilson, linen & sailcloth manufacturer
1872 Post Office Directory:  Skutterskelfe:  Thomas Wilson, gardener to Major T L Elwon, The Hall

Mrs Wilson gave 10s to School Acct 1874 – Barlow’s Notebook

24 Feb 1879:  George Wilson occupied workshop or buildings on East Side sold by Allan Bowes Wilson to Matthew Hall [East Side deeds]

1881 Census:  Hutton House:  Allan B Wilson 41 canvas mfr emp 50 hands, sister Annie H 25;  visitors Miss Mary Hutton 58 b Newcastle and Miss Alice M Hutton 20 b Sunderland;  cook Jane Carnegie 27 b East Rounton and housemaid Harriet Foster 19 b Harwood
1891 Census:  Hutton House:  Allan B Wilson 51 sailcloth mfr and Annie H 35;  housemaid Jane Beatty 22 b Ireland

Mr John George Wilson of 16 North Bailey, Durham, senior partner of Wilson, Ornsby & Cadle, solicitors, 45 years Under Sheriff of the County, who won the 100 yards race for Oxford in 1869-70 and 1871 and the English Amateur Championship in 1869 and 1871, Legal Secretary to the Lord Bishop of Durham and solicitor to the Dean and Chapter, has left estate of value £56,457, with net personalty of £47,118.  Letters of Administration granted to his son Allan Aylmer Luxmoore of 5 North Bailey  [?1930 newspaper clipping]

from John George Wilson’s obituary: he served his articles with Joseph Dodds, who represented Stockton in Parliament.  He married Miss Eade, daughter of the late Revd J D Eade, who was Canon of Durham and Rector of Aycliffe.  His eldest son, Alan Aylmer Luxmoore, succeeds his father in most of his offices.  His second son, Commander G A Wilson R.N., is farming in Queensland.  His third son, Captain R A Wilson died in the War.  Two younger boys died in their youth.  One of the two daughters married Colonel G P Atkinson, who was killed a few moths ago while playing polo.  Mrs Wilson died 15 years ago.
[newspaper clipping]

Mr Thomas Bowes-Wilson of Kilrule, St Andrew’s, Fife, and formerly of Enterpen Hall, Hutton Rudby, has left estate of the value of £54,274, with net personalty £50,123.  He gives £100 to his daughter-in-law, Nora Dulcie Bowes-Wilson, £10,000 between his granddaughters Elizabeth Hutton Bowes-Wilson and Jean Margaret Bowes-Wilson, £100 to his son-in-law, an annuity of £45 to his sister Annie Hutton Wilson, and the residue of the property in trust for his daughter, Mary Hutton Austin and her children
[1929 newspaper clipping]

Hutton Rudby Man’s Fortune for sister
Mr Allan Bowes Wilson J.P. of Hutton House, Hutton Rudby, Lord of the Manor of Hutton, left estate in his own disposition of the gross value of £105,953, with net personalty of £99,096.  Probate has been granted to his sister Miss Annie Hutton Wilson of the same address, the sole Executrix, to whom he left all of his property absolutely
[1932 newspaper clipping]


Edwin James Wilson, surgeon, was the deputy registrar who recorded the death of Mary Imeson on 6 Oct 1852.  He was baptised in Stockton on 11 Apr 1806, passed the LSA of London in 1837 and in 1839 was appointed surgeon for the district of Lythe, travelling 30 miles from Hutton Rudby.  [Dr Stout]
13 Feb 1845:  Edwin James Wilson occupied the 4a close Hunters Holme [East Side deeds]
1846:  in spite of holding only a single diploma, he was appointed medical officer to the Hutton District of Stokesley Union (no alternative candidtates) [Dr Stout]
1847 and 1848:  Medical Directories:  E J Wilson on Poor Law Medical Staff
1851 Census:  on North Side, with wife and Alfred 6
1861 Census:  Linden Grove:  Edwin J Wilson 53 surgeon LSA London b Stockton widower, with servant Sarah A Thompson 28 b Osmotherley
1867 Middlesbrough Weekly News of 20 and 27 Sep:  “a card” from Mr Alfred Wilson, MRCS London, late pupil with Sir John Fife.  Mr Edwin J Wilson’s, surgeon, Linden Grove, Hutton Rudby (standard method of announcing entry into medical practice) [Dr Stout]
1871 Census:  no longer in practice, living on North Side
1873 Medical Directory:  obituary note for E J Wilson, no date given [Dr Stout]
Oddfellows Board:  Bro:  E J Wilson, Hutton, 7 Apr 1872, a65

1871 Census:  Linden Grove:  William Wilson 54 retd farmer b Hornby, wife Mary 43 b Enfield Middlesex, son Arthur 7 b Newsom Co Durham; servant:  Margaret Tosland 31 b Kent


Wood


Robert Balier of Rudby & East Rounton marr Elizabeth Passman of Rudby at East Rounton on 7 Apr 1806:  witnesses Wm Wood, Matthew Appleton, Eliza Kay and Harry Passman [PRs]

DW 581:  4 Apr 1816:  James Bainbridge of Hutton bricklayer (1) George, John & Henry Hutchinson the younger & Thomas Place bankers at Stockton (2):  3 houses adjoining each other in Hutton, occ by James Bainbridge, Richard Wood & Thomas Almond:  bounded by Thomas Passman & Thomas & George Farnaby to E & N, by street to W, by Edward [sic] Taylor to S

1823 Baines:  Hutton:  William Wood, farmer
1823 Baines:  Hutton:  William Wood, bacon & cheese factor

ET 293:  21 Mar 1823:  sale of ppty of Samuel Hebbron late of Hutton nr Rudby butcher dealer & chapman now or late a prisoner in the gaol of the Castle of York:  being the Shoulder of Mutton public house [predecessor of King’s Head], occ by Samuel Hebbron, then by David Hebbron & now by Robert Moss:  bounded by Thomas Whorlton and Thomas Jackson, Thomas Cust, B D Sugget and Thomas Wayne to W and N, by street to S, by Thomas Jackson to E; also the stable; a close of 5a 2p bounded by William Wood to N, by William Dawson to E, W & S, and occupied by William Dawson; also land in Potto

“Principal inhabitants” signing the Rudby terrier 1825:  Simon Kelsey, Robert Brigham, William Wood, Michael Sidgwick, Philip Gowland, James Catchasides <jnr>, and churchwardens James Catchasides and John Wrightson

FC 147:  14 Nov 1825:  James Bainbridge bricklayer (1) Hutchinsons & Place bankers (2) William Richmond of Stockton mercer & draper (3) Richard Nightingale the younger of Middleton St George (4):  2 houses, lately in 3 tenements, with garden behind, formerly occ by James Bainbridge, Richard Wood & Thomas Almond, then by James Bainbridge & John Simpson, now by James & John Bainbridge; and also 2 new erected houses now in 3 tenements lately erected by James Bainbridge in the garden, now occ by George Harker, Alice Pedlar & Ann Rudd:  all bounded by messuage & garden of Roger Bowes to E, by messuage & garden of Edmund Taylor to W, by street to N, by Thomas Passman to S

FL 58:  13 May 1827:  East Side, judging by occupants & boundaries:  2 houses lately used in 3 tenements with garden behind formerly occ by James Bainbridge, Richard Wood & Thomas Almond, then by sd James Bainbridge & John Simpson, then by sd James Bainbridge & John Bainbridge:  and the 2 houses used in 3 tenements “newly created” and “lately erected” by sd James Bainbridge in the sd garden, then occupied by George Harker, Alice Pedlar & Ann Rudd:  bounded by house and garden bel to Roger Bowes to E, by Edmund Taylor to W, by street to N, by Thomas Passman to S:  parties:   Richard Nightingale the younger late of Middleton St George gent and George Stanger of Pickton farmer:  reciting indre of 14 Nov 1825 to which James Bainbridge, George & John & Henry Hutchinson, Thomas Place, William Richmond and said Richard Nightingale were parties

William Wood was a Vestry member in 1830 who signed the election entry for the churchwardens in April.  He signed the appointment of churchwardens on 9 Apr 1833.

FS 461:  2 & 3 Feb 1831:  cottage 1a:  occ by William Wood at £1-10s p.a

William Wood of Hutton is churchwarden in 1831
William Wood buried 29 Sep 1835 aged 72 [PRs]

GG 130:  31 Oct 1835:  Thomas Spence of Hutton weaver & Dorothy his wife (1) Henry Collins of Stokesley gent (2):  2 houses now used as one, the weaver’s shop adjoinging & the garden or orchard of 1r behind, occ by Thomas Spence; the butcher’s shop adjoining the weaver’s shop occ by William Sherwood:  bounded by Lord Falkland to E, street to W, Mrs Kingston to N, Edmund Taylor to S; also Gowdie/Gowlay Hill Garth 1a with cowhouse occ by Thomas Richardson:  bounded by John Charlton to E, by Francis Stainthorpe to W, by street to N, by Jane Willans & Edward Meynell to S; also house with garden & garth behind 2r, occ by William Merrington:  bounded by street to E, William Wood to W, John Seamer to N, John Rymers & Francis Stainthorpe to S; also 3 closes formerly 2 closes called the Cottager 7a, previously occ by William Braithwaite as tenant to William Spence decd:  bounded by Robert Halliday Dobson to E, George Hunter & William Ableson to W, by Rounton road to N, by Richard Johnson to S; “& all other the messuages lands tenements and hereditaments formerly belonging to Thomas Smith late of Hutton yeoman decd and comprised in his Will”

1840 Whites:  Hutton Rudby:  William Wood, gent

1841 Census:  John Wood 30 publican, with family, at the Bay Horse
1841 Census:  William Wood 60 independent, Elizabeth 70, with Margaret Wilkinson 15 independent, North Side
1841 Census:  Jane Wood 26 in household of Michael Sidgwick, Enterpen
1841 Census:  William Wood 20 farmer in household of George Wilson, Enterpen
1841 Census:  Middleton, cottage:  Josiah Wood 70 miller, Margaret 60 and Mary 35
Richard Wood was a tenant of James Bainbridge on East Side in 1816

‘Stokesley News & Cleveland Reporter’, 1 Jun 1844:
Marriage:  On Sunday, May 12th, at Rudby, Mr William Wood, to Mrs Jane Bulmer

‘The Cleveland Repertory’ 1 Jun 1844:
Marriage:  On Sunday the 12th ult, at Rudby Church, by the Rev R J Barlow, Mr Wm Wood of Hutton, to Mrs Jane Bulmer, of the same place

Ord 1846:
A respectable farmer named Wood, now deceased, living near Entrepen, lost a number of geese during the night; and in the morning he found the annexed doggrel chalked on the door of his poultry-house:
William Wood, your geese are good
But not very fat;
So out of eleven we took but seven,
And you many thank us for that
William Wood is listed in Barlow’s Notebook, giving 1s to a charity sermon

Oddfellows Board:  Bro:  John Wood, Hutton, 11 Jun 1848, a40 [publican Bay Horse]


Wooley

Mr <Wooley> owned lands to the south of the farm Oxgang c1820 – Middleton Book


Wright

4 & 5 Oct 1819:  George Wright occupied a dwellinghouse on East Side bought by John Braithwaite [East Side deeds]

ET 604:  12 & 13 Sep 1823:  4a close in Hutton Moor, previously occ by Bart Wright now by Simon Sidgwick the weaver

1823 Baines:  Hutton:  George Wright, shoemaker

GA 84:  3 Mar 1826:  Will of Arthur Douglas of Skutterskelfe, gardener:  his house, weavers shops & garth lying contiguous, now occ by George Wright and others, and his 2 cottages now occ by Hannah Kay & [ - ] Peacock:  beneficiaries: Alvey Kay and Catherine Kay, children of testator’s late niece Mary Kay, and testator’s sisters Alice Scorer and Ann Hutton decd

FT 108:  25 Aug 1830:  Hutton Moor [Tithe Map 384 & 385]:  Michael Sedgwick late of Hutton now of Broughton weaver (1) Mary Sedgwick of Broughton widow (2) Govnors of QAB (3) Rev Robt Fawcitt curate of Hilton (4):  two closes, the Cottage & the Orchard, one about 1a the other about 2a, previously in one close “in a place called Hutton Moor” [ie that described in ET 604]:  occ by Bart Wright as tenant to Thomas Dennison, then by Michael Sidgwick:  bounded by Thomas Dennison to E & S, by George Truefitt to W, by Rounton road to N

1841 Census:  Mary Wright 15 servant at Yorks’, Sexhow

Oddfellows Board:  Bro:  John Wright, America, 22 Aug 1844, a54 [farmer, acc to JBTurner]


Wrightson

1823 Baines:  Skutterskelfe:  John Wrightson, farmer

“Principal inhabitants” signing the Rudby terrier 1825:  Simon Kelsey, Robert Brigham, William Wood, Michael Sidgwick, Philip Gowland, James Catchasides <jnr>, and churchwardens James Catchasides and John Wrightson

John Wrightson was a vestry member who signed the election of churchwardens on 5 Apr 1831. 

John Wrightson was at “a meeting held in vestry” on 16 Jun 1831 where they voted a church rate of 2 ½ per £ to church repairs.  He signed the churchwardens’ accounts in July 1832.  He signed the election of churchwardens and a church rate of 5 ½ per pound on 24 April 1832.  He signed the appointment of churchwardens on 9 Apr 1833.

John Wrightson (Skutterskelfe) was a Poor Law Guardian [Hastings:  Local Govt & Socy]

1840 Whites:  Skutterskelfe:  John Wrightson, farmer
1841 Census:  White House, Skutterskelfe:  Wrightson

Mar 1842:  John Wrightson, farmer, gave evidence at the trial of Robert Goldsbrough;  he had known Huntley for about 14 years [Yorkshire Gazette 12 Mar 1842]

‘Stokesley News & Cleveland Reporter’ and the ‘Cleveland Repertory’ of 1 Oct 1843 announced the birth of a son to John Wrightson, farmer, Skutterskelfe

John Wrightson may have been of White House farm
John Wrightson was churchwarden with James Catchasides in 1822-4


Wyndham

1840 Whites:  Middleton-upon-Leven:  mostly the property of Colonel Wyndham … who is lord of the manor



No comments:

Post a Comment