The Ormesby churchwardens were looking for a new schoolmaster for the "Publick Schoolhouse" which still stands in the High Street. It had been built in 1744 and rebuilt in 1773, presumably just before the previous schoolmaster arrived. The requirement that the master could teach Navigation is a reminder that Cleveland was a maritime area – and, of course, Stockton-on-Tees was then the nearest town.
Newcastle Chronicle, 28 December 1793
WANTED, at Ormesby, in Cleveland, near Stockton upon Tees,
A SCHOOLMASTER, qualified to teach the English grammatically, Arithmetic, Navigation, &c, &c – A Person so qualified may have every Information respecting the Situation, by addressing a Letter (Post-paid) to John Hymers, or John Trenholm, Churchwardens of Ormesby; or R. Christopher, Bookseller, Stockton.
N.B. A good modern-built House and School-House adjoining, Rent-free with 3l a Year for teaching six poor Children to read.
The late Master being dead, who occupied the same for above twenty Years, occasions this Vacancy.