Monday, 25 March 2013

People of Hutton Rudby in the C18/19: Falkland to Friendly Society

... from my working notes ... accuracy not guaranteed ... for explanatory note, see post of 14 Feb 2013


The 10th Viscount Lucius Bentinck Carey 1803-84 married
(1)     Amelia, by whom he had a son Lucius William Charles Augustus Frederick, born 24 Nov 1831, married 11 May 1858 and died 6 Aug 1871.  Buried Penshurst, Kent. [Memorial in chancel]
(2)     Elizabeth Catherine, Dowager Duchess of St Albans (d 2 Dec 1893) on 10 Nov 1859.  She was the youngest daughter of Maj-Gen Joseph Gubbins of Stoneham, Hants and Kilfrush, Co Limerick.  She had married the 9th Duke in May 1839, as his second wife (his first wife, the widow of the banker Coutts, had died without issue); her son was 10th Duke of Saint Albans.
On the death of the 10th Viscount 12 Mar 1884 the UK Barony (he was made Baron Hunsdon by William IV) expired.

FS 461:  2 & 3 Feb 1831:  mortgage of Rudby manor etc by Lord Falkland

FT 547:  4 Feb 1831:  mortgage of Rudby manor etc by Lord Falkland

GG 130:  31 Oct 1835:  Thomas Spence of Hutton weaver & Dorothy his wife (1) Henry Collins of Stokesley gent (2):  2 houses now used as one, the weaver’s shop adjoinging & the garden or orchard of 1r behind, occ by Thomas Spence; the butcher’s shop adjoining the weaver’s shop occ by William Sherwood:  bounded by Lord Falkland to E, street to W, Mrs Kingston to N, Edmund Taylor to S; also Gowdie/Gowlay Hill Garth 1a with cowhouse occ by Thomas Richardson:  bounded by John Charlton to E, by Francis Stainthorpe to W, by street to N, by Jane Willans & Edward Meynell to S; also house with garden & garth behind 2r, occ by William Merrington:  bounded by street to E, William Wood to W, John Seamer to N, John Rymers & Francis Stainthorpe to S; also 3 closes formerly 2 closes called the Cottager 7a, previously occ by William Braithwaite as tenant to William Spence decd:  bounded by Robert Halliday Dobson to E, George Hunter & William Ableson to W, by Rounton road to N, by Richard Johnson to S; “& all other the messuages lands tenements and hereditaments formerly belonging to Thomas Smith late of Hutton yeoman decd and comprised in his Will”

In 1842 Lord Falkland first paid one third of the expense of cleaning the church (£1-15-11 ½d)

Lord Falkland gave £20 to School Acct 1874 – Barlow’s Notebook
Lord Falkland was a major landowner in Kirklevington; there the Archbishop of York held the advowson
In 1860 Lord Falkland added an acre of ground to the churchyard [Eddowes]

“Lord Falkland has come tonight” [letter from E Garbutt 17 Aug 1863:  Letters to a Miller’s Daughter]

Date of Will        16 May 1874, executed in Paris
Date of death        12 Mar 1884
Place of death        the Villa Nevet, Montpellier, buried in cemetery there
Date of Probate    13 Jun 1884
Value of estate        gross personalty £2360-18-9d

1887:  memorial stones at the new Primitive Methodist chapel were laid by K Rickatson, W Seymour (Spout Bank), Mrs Honeyman, Mrs Eden, Mrs Hall and Mr E Bainbridge; and on behalf of Viscount Falkland, G Y Blair, and Rev Oliver Jackson, a Primitive Methodist minister born in Hutton Rudby [G Milburn’s notes]


11 May 1868:  Codling mortgage:  North Side ppty bounded by John Mease to W and Miss Righton and George Davison to E, and occupied by James Stephenson, with the 6 messuages occupied by William Codling, James Catterick, Mrs Falshaw, Richard Richardson, James Stephenson and Reuben Bainbridge


Yorkshire Poll Book 1807:  Hutton Rudby:  Thomas Farnaby weaver

DW 581:  4 Apr 1816:  James Bainbridge of Hutton bricklayer (1) George, John & Henry Hutchinson the younger & Thomas Place bankers at Stockton (2):  3 houses adjoining each other in Hutton, occ by James Bainbridge, Richard Wood & Thomas Almond:  bounded by Thomas Passman & Thomas & George Farnaby to E & N, by street to W, by Edward [sic] Taylor to S

1823 Baines:  Hutton:  George Farnaby, bee breeder & dealer

FQ 249:  13 & 14 Mar 1829:  exors of Wayne to Barker:  the Carpenters Arms with the cartwrights shop and stable on the west end thereof, the garden and the privy on the south & backside of the premises, bounded by road to East Rounton to E, by Mrs Elizabeth Hildreth to W & S, by road to East Rounton, John Robinson and Mr Farnaby to N – occ by Edward Meynell;  the garth occ by Edward Meynell, bounded by Elizabeth Hildreth to E, by John Burdon to W, by Thomas Passman, Elizabeth Hildreth, Mr Kendall & William Spence to N, by road to East Rounton to S; the site where buildings lately occupied by John & Hannah Kay & taken down by Mark Barker stood; the garth now used as garden ground to the E & backside of the sd site;  the new houses built by Mark Barker on the site and part of the garth: some of the houses and the garden ground “at present unoccupied”, the others occupied by Robert Hall, William Souter, George Sanderson, John Kay, Mary Lamb, Jackson Richardson, John Wild and Thomas Shaw:  bounded by house & lands bel to Rev Richard Shepherd to E & S, by Arthur Douglas and townstreet to N & W

Elizabeth Farnaby was a former occupant of property, once used as a coachhouse, sold by Kay and Colebeck to Mark Barker in 1830

FT 30:  12 & 13 May 1830:  East Side:  John Kay of Hutton cartwright & others to Mark Barker & trustees:  house heretofore used as a coachhouse & formerly occ by James Ingledew, Mary Collyerson & Diana Swales, then by Elizabeth Farnaby, then by Charles Hall, then by Hannah Best, & now by Matthew Garbutt:  bounded by street to E, Mark Barker to W & S, Arthur Douglas to N

late July 1830:  George Farnaby saw William Huntley coming down his yard;  “I live in a yard;  Huntley wrought at my shop.”   Farnaby had a field, which he had let Goldsbrough pasture a cow in previously.  Huntley sold his weaver’s loom to Farnaby before disappearing.

Ann Farnaby bought a Spelling Book for 1d in the List – Middleton Book
“Farnaby” is in a list of names in the Middleton Book

FU 487:  16 May 1832:  South Side, tithe map 194-6:  John Passman of Hutton yeoman (1) James Robinson of Whorlton yeoman (2) Robert Pulman of Stockton gent [solicitor] (3):  building with cowhouse & premises adjoining, and garth of 2r adjoining to the N:  bounded by Jane Farnaby to E, by Mrs Hildreth to W, by street to N, by Mark Barker to S:  occ by John Passman & James Harrison & Mary Kingston;  and the house with garden adjoining, bounded by street to E & N, and by above prems to W & S

John Farnaby, son of Jane Farnaby, was baptised by Mr Barlow on 11 Nov 1832

William Farnaby of Danby Yard, Yarm, wrote for his birth certificate; he was the son of William and Violet. (The transcripts show he was baptised on 17 May 1833). 

“Jane Farnaby Widow – two children aged 8, 14” [Mr Barlow’s list ?1836]

1841 Census:  George Farnaby 60 weaver, Elizabeth 50 and Hannah 11, near the mill
1841 Census:  William Farnaby 30 ag lab, Violet 35, William 9 and three younger siblings, with Ambrose Burnsides 80 tinker born out of county, North Side

Mar 1842:  George Farnaby gave evidence in the trial of Robert Goldsbrough

1851 Census:  George Farnaby 73 hand loom weaver linen bHutton, Elizabeth 66 bOrmesby and Hannah S 21 bHutton with William 1 bHutton
1851 Census:  Enterpen:  William Farnaby widower 41 handloom weaver, children Jane 14 servant, John 10, George 7 and Thomas 4;  all b Hutton Rudby


1823 Baines:  Skutterskelfe:  John Fawcett, farmer
Robert Fawcett was churchwarden in 1843



1823 Baines:  Middleton:  Watson Fawell, vict., Chequers
1840 Whites:  Middleton:  Walton Fawell, vict., Chequers
1841 Census:  Middleton:  Watson Farwell 65 innkeeper, Elizabeth 50 and Dorothy 15
1851 Census:  Middleton:  Watson Fawell 76 farmer 14a and licensed beer seller b Bildershill Co Durham, Elizabeth 64 bStokesley and Dorothy U 26 assistant beer seller bMiddleton


Robert Fenwick was a tenant of James Catchasides jnr in the Bay Horse area:  deeds of 1824 & 1830
FB 195:  19 & 20 Nov 1824:  Bay Horse area ppties bought by James Catchasides jnr, Robert Fennick being an occupier
FP 310:  12 & 13 Feb 1830:  Catchasides sale of Bay Horse ppties to Thomas Hall, Robert Fenwick an occupier

John Fenwick bought a Catechism for 1d in the List – Middleton Book


EH 212 & EG 295:  relate to the same ppty:  a house which had been divided into two tenements and in 1818 was “lately occupied in four different tenements or dwellinghouses”:  tenants were previously Jane Whorlton & her tenants William Easby, Oliver Jackson & William Honeyman; tenants were in 1818 William Honeyman, Thomas Graham, Robert Walton and Robert Codling:  bounded to E by Christopher Flintoff decd, to S & W by townstreet, to N by David Simpson decd


Mrs Margaret Flounders was the daughter of Thomas Tweddle, and she and her husband James Flounders of Sexhow inherited his property – several houses and garths and gardens in the area of The Elms – in July 1815
Jonathan Flounders was a tenant of the property before 1815

27 & 28 Jun 1831:  Lease:  parties:  Thomas Eland of Grange Road Bermondsey leather dresser and wife Mary, Richard Eland of Newport Pagnell Bucks gent and Langley & Reece:  to convey from Thomas to Richard and to secure an annuity to Thomas and his wife:  garth 1a 2r 28p, bounded by John De Putron & - Richardson to W, Flounders & De Putron to E, river to N and street to S: and 3 houses (formerly one house) barn, cowhouse & carpenter’s shop:  occ by John Eland, John Sherwood & Thomas Wiles

Tithe Map:  James Flounders owned and occupied the house & garden next to the Bay Horse
Tithe Map from Elizabeth Sleigh:  George Flounders occ 187, 190

James Flounders bap 26 Nov 1775, son of George Flounders, Sexhow.
James Flounders marr Margaret Tweddle 26 Mar 1805 at HR [IGI Beryl]
James Flounders was churchwarden in 1818, with James Catchasides
James Flounders buried 16 Jul 1841, a65 of Sexhow

1823 Baines:  Sexhow:  Jonas [sic] Flounders, farmer
1840 Whites:  Hutton Rudby:  James Flounders, gent

1841 Census:  James Flounders 65 with two servants Elizabeth and Ann Orton and two children, Margaret 9 and George 7 Brown, lodgers
1841 Census:  George Flounders 50 linen weaver, Mary 55, Jane 25 weaver, James 2, South Side
1841 Census:  Elizabeth Flounders 70 ag lab, Mary Flounders 40 servant, South Side
1841 Census:  Jonathan Flounders 70 ag lab, Jane 80, Thomas 50, Elizabeth 30 and William 15, all linen weavers, and Charles 11, South Side
1841 Census:  Elizabeth Flounders 20 servant at Rudby Farm

Eliza Flounders is in a List of Girls – Middleton Book

1851 Census:  South Side:  Frances Flounders married 66 brickmaker’s wife, b Normanby
1851 Census:  South Side:  Thomas Flounders single 60 handloom weaver linen, sister Elizabeth single 42 and nephew Charles Flounders single 21 shoemaker, all b Hutton


Anne Forster is in a List of Girls – Middleton Book
Thomas Forster was churchwarden named in the Call Book 1861, and signed the Articles of Inquiry


“Mr Foster 5s 1d” appears in William Sayers Calculations 1815 in the Middleton Book
1823 Baines:  Middleton:  Thomas Foster, farmer
1841 Census:  Middleton Grange:  John Foston [sic] 20 miller, in household of Thomas Righton

Jun 1866:  Thomas Foster, Ober Green, gave £5 to the subscription for Thomas Garbutt

1872 Post Office Directory:  Hutton Rudby:  Robert Foster, miller, Enterpen


Elizabeth Fowler, schoolmistress of Hutton Rudby, was a witness of Mr Barlow’s Will on 15 Apr 1875


ET 257:  2 & 3 Jan 1823:  garth, orchard & houses, probably North End:  Thomas Foxcroft was previous occupier, then James Foxcroft

Friendly Society

The linen weavers in particular were served by a friendly society in Hutton – it had 55 members in 1802-3 and 40 members in 1813-5.  It will have helped alleviate their poverty.
[Parl Papers 1818 XIX Abstract of Returns relating to the Poor 1812-15:  ref from Hastings:  Local Govt & Socy]

No comments:

Post a Comment