Friday, 31 May 2013

People of Hutton Rudby in the C18/19: Sadler to Seamer

... from my working notes ... accuracy not guaranteed ... for explanatory note, see post of 14 Feb 2013


ET 257:  2 & 3 Jan 1823:  garth, orchard & houses, probably North End:  William Sadler was an occupier

1840 Whites:  Hutton Rudby:  William Sadler, farmer, Well Hill

1841 Census:  Thomas Sadler 30 linen weaver and Ann 30 linen weaver, Tisbut Row
1841 Census:  Ann Sadler 65 ag lab, Jane 25 servant, Alice 25 linen weaver, William 12 ag lab and Andrew 8, North End
1841 Census:  Butter Hill:  Ann Saddler 40 servant with Thomas Legg
1841 Census:  Belle Vue:  Sadler

From George Tweddell’s ‘Stokesley News & Cleveland Reporter’ 1 Nov 1842:
“Odd Fellow’s Funeral.  On Friday morning, October 28th, the members of the Traveller’s Home Lodge, of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, assembled at the house of Mr Wm Robinson, the King’s Head Inn, Hutton, for the purpose of paying their last token of respect, to the remains of the late Host of their Lodge, Mr Jeremiah Raney, of the Wheat Sheaf Inn.  After the usual funeral ceremony of the Order had been read in the room, to the asembled brothers, by Mr Thos Saddler, N.G…[qv Oddfellows]

1851 Census:  North Side:  Ann Sadler 44 weaver’s wife and niece Elizabeth Barker 3 both b Hutton

Oddfellows Board:  PG:  Thomas Sadler, 1869, a62
Oddfellows Board:  Bro:  William Sadler, Sexhow, 24 Dec 1869, a19


T Sage and J B York, both members of the chapel, took down the old Primitive Methodist chapel for £5 for the rebuilding in 1887 [G Milburn’s notes]

1887:  active members of the Primitive Methodist chapel at the time of building included Edward Bainbridge, Robert Maughan, William Graham Hall, Thomas Sage and Kilvington Rickatson of Trenholme Bar [G Milburn’s notes]


ET 258:  7 & 8 Jan 1823:  southern part of land occ by Mundell and bought by him from Simon Kelsey:  parties:  George Mundell of Hutton gardener, John Thompson of Faceby yeoman, William Jackson of Hutton tailor, Robert Brigham of Rudby gent and William Wood of Hutton gent:  bounded by land bought by John & Thomas Sidgwick from Sir Wm Hy Pennyman to E,  by Mr Sanders and Mr Wigham to W, by northern part of land bel to Thomas & William Jackson to N, by Simon Kelsey to S

FT 109:  21 Aug 1830:  Jaques Barn glebe lands:  Michael Sidgwick late of Hutton now of Broughton weaver & John Sidgwick late of Hutton weaver now of Deighton farmer to Rev Richard Shepherd with the QAB money:  two pieces of ground called Jaques Barn each about 1a, part of a close of 7a:  bounded by Jonathan Sanders to N & W, land of George & Mary Bowes contracted to be conveyed to Isaac Whorlton & others to E, Rounton road to S:  previously occ by James Kendrew and now by John & Michael Sidgwick


13 Dec 1790:  George Sanderson married Jane Russell [witnesses:  John Eland, Thomas Eland]

18 May 1792:  Thomas Sanderson was a previous occupant of a house and garth on East Side north of Wheatsheaf [East Side deeds]

25 Jul 1818:  Thomas Sanderson was a previous occupant of a house in the Wheatsheaf area,  between Whorlton and Passman property, bought by Baillieur from Passman [East Side deeds]

1823 Baines:  Hutton:  George Sanderson, shoemaker

7 Oct 1826:  George Sanderson married Ann Goldsbro [witnesses:  John Pattinson, Eliz Goldsbro, Robt Preston]

George Sanderson is a tenant of Barkers Row in 1829

FQ 249:  13 & 14 Mar 1829:  exors of Wayne to Barker:  the Carpenters Arms with the cartwrights shop and stable on the west end thereof, the garden and the privy on the south & backside of the premises, bounded by road to East Rounton to E, by Mrs Elizabeth Hildreth to W & S, by road to East Rounton, John Robinson and Mr Farnaby to N – occ by Edward Meynell;  the garth occ by Edward Meynell, bounded by Elizabeth Hildreth to E, by John Burdon to W, by Thomas Passman, Elizabeth Hildreth, Mr Kendall & William Spence to N, by road to East Rounton to S; the site where buildings lately occupied by John & Hannah Kay & taken down by Mark Barker stood; the garth now used as garden ground to the E & backside of the sd site;  the new houses built by Mark Barker on the site and part of the garth: some of the houses and the garden ground “at present unoccupied”, the others occupied by Robert Hall, William Souter, George Sanderson, John Kay, Mary Lamb, Jackson Richardson, John Wild and Thomas Shaw:  bounded by house & lands bel to Rev Richard Shepherd to E & S, by Arthur Douglas and townstreet to N & W

FQ 435:  26 & 27 Mar 1830:  house on East Side:  Baillieur to Lowther:  formerly occ by Thomas Sanderson, then by Thomas Shaw and now by Robert Tweddle:  bounded by Joseph Whorlton to N, by Thomas Passman to S, by street to W

early Aug 1830:  Anthony Wiles saw Robert Goldsbrough, Thomas Grundy, William Patterson and George Sanderson “at Scotson’s, public-house … They were sitting in the front kitchen drinking.  They might have “teens” of pints of ale.  The prisoner paid for them;  he paid half-a-crown every two or three pints.  They remained there till about four in the morning;  they came in at twelve o’clock at night” [Yorkshire Gazette 12 Mar 1842]

J Sanderson was in A List of Boys – Middleton Book

1840 Whites:  Hutton Rudby:  George Sanderson, boot & shoe maker

1841 Census:  George Sanderson 45 shoemaker, Jane Sanderson 75, Anne Broads 40 and Anne Broads 13, East Side area
1841 Census:  South Side:  George Sanderson 40 linen weaver, Ann 35, James 14, Elizabeth 12, Sophia 9, Samuel 7 and Sarah 1
1841 Census:  Elizabeth Sanderson 15 in household of Thomas Ward, North End
1841 Census:  William Sanderson 40 schoolmaster with Mary Rowe, servant

1851 Census:  East Side:  George Sanderson S 59 shoemaker bHutton, servant Ann Broads W 22 housekeeper and visitor Mary Sherwood 8 bHutton

George & Jane Sanderson had three children baptised in Hutton Rudby:  George 1791, Jane 1793 and William 1796.  George and William appear never to have married, but Jane married William Broads, a weaver, in 1826 and had one daughter Jane, baptised in 1827.  William died aged 28 in August 1828, and Jane and her daughter are to be found with their mother and George in 1841 census.

The family of George & Ann Sanderson, linen weaver, appear in Hutton Rudby only in the 1841 census.  One of the sons, Samuel, can be found in the 1881 census at Stranton, Co Durham, an iron dresser.

The identity of the George Sanderson who drank with Robert Goldsbrough is not known – but George the weaver was married to a Goldsbrough.

NBI:  15 Nov 1860 George Sanderson buried, aged 68
NBI:  24 Aug 1864 William Sanderson buried, aged 68


Rev George Sangar, vicar of Carlton, was curate to Mr Barlow for the 3rd service – 1871 & 1877
He was curate in Stokesley before becoming vicar of Carlton in 1865.
In 1877-9 Sanger replaced the old church at Carlton, described by Ord in 1848 as a “singular and extraordinary structure”, with a sturdy Norman-style tower and a thatched nave and chancel “little better than a shepherd’s hut”.  He drew up his own plans, directed the work, was his own “contractor, clerk of works, master mason and foreman carver” [Fairfax Blakeborough].
It was opened in Mar 1879, and in Oct 1881 was destroyed by fire.  The villagers suspected the vicar of arson, and although the Stokesley magistrates threw out the case, the Archibishop of York suspended him for five years for a supposed ecclesiastical offence.  He remained in the parish, ostracised by his parishioners.  A week before his death, the Carlton blacksmith pinned up a farewell note from Sanger to his parishioners in his shop, and many villagers went to make their peace with him before his death.  When Canon Kyle was appointed to the parish as his successor the Archbishop of York advised him, “You will have to exercise the highest form of charity – that is, charity to the uncharitable.” [A Prospect of the North York Moors by Harry Mead]

See Chapters 21 and 23 of Remarkable, but still True, and particularly Chapter 24


Oddfellows Board:  Bro:  John Sawkell, Stokesley, 29 Feb 1848, a27
Oddfellows Board:  Bro:  R Sawkell, Stokesley, 28 Jan 1857, a40


The Sayer family of Rudby were descended from a junior branch of the Sayers of Worsall, who had held that manor from the C14 and were noted recusants.  In the mid C17, John Sayer of Rudby married a granddaughter of Francis Sayer of Yarm.

Entries in the parish registers for the Sayer family begin before 1600, and continue for eight generations into the early C19, becoming a very widespread group, splitting into a large number of different families.

Descendants of John Sayer were recusants in 1691.  In 1745 Joseph, Thomas & James Sayer refused to abjure their faith but agreed to abide by the anti-papist laws.  Thomas was still a recusant at his death in 1789.  Thereafter there are no references to Catholicism among the Sayers of the North Riding.  Edward Sayer 1823-97 was the first to leave Yorkshire, going to London in 1837.  His great-uncles James and William were among the last Sayer burials in Rudby, dying in 1815. [‘The Sayer family of Worsall’ by J P Sayer]
It is however possible that there were later Sayer burials, unrecorded by Mr Barlow

1786:  John Sayer was churchwarden

“William Sayers Calculations … Martinmas 1815” appear in the Middleton Book

William Sayer (Middleton) was a Poor Law Guardian [Hastings:  Local Govt & Socy]

1823 Baines:  Middleton:  William Sayer, bleacher and corn miller

“Apprenticeship Indre:  Stephen Hall aged 12 years apprenticed to John Cook of Hutton near Rudby, weaver, to age 21 – April 1823:  made between William Sayer (churchwarden) and Thomas Tweddle and William Sayer (overseers of poor of township of Middleton) and Stephen Hall ‘a poor child belonging to said township of Middleton’” [NYCRO Mic 1204]

William Sayer was a Vestry member in 1830 who signed the election entry for the churchwardens in April

Mr Sayer gave 10s to Rudby School, Oct 24th 1832 – Middleton Book
Mr Sayer gave 10s to Rudby School, year beginning 24 Oct 1833 – Middleton Book

John Sayer was the enumerator for part of Hutton for the 1841 Census
1841 Census:  John Sayer 20 schoolmaster in household of Mary Willins, Enterpen
1841 Census:  Middleton Grange:  Elizabeth Sayer 16 independent in household of Thomas Righton

Thomas Sayer was an early occupant of East Side property sold by Thomas Passman to Isaac Benson on 13 Feb 1845


1840 Whites:  Hutton Rudby:  William Scales, grocer & draper
1841 Census:  Mary Scales 60 tea dealer born out of county, North End


Richard Scarth was at “a meeting held in vestry” on 16 Jun 1831 where they voted a church rate of 2 ½ per £ to church repairs
Richard Scarth (East Rounton) was a Poor Law Guardian [Hastings:  Local Govt & Socy]

1840 Whites:  East Rounton:  Richard Scarth, farmer and owner

Jun 1866:  Medd Scarth, Carlton gave £2 to the subscription for Thomas Garbutt


1872 Post Office Directory:  Hutton Rudby:  John Scholes, bobbin manufacturer


Thomas Ableson was the first schoolmaster of the Bathurst school, died in 1750 and was succeeded by his son William [Hastings]

William Ableson d 1782 a 63, Master of Rudby School, d of asthma [PRs]

10 Oct 1789 William Ableson admitted and licensed to teach a Petty or English School in Hutton Rudby [Borthwick faculties etc 1768-1793]

5 Jun 1790:  Let the Ordinary be Cautious that no licence be granted to James Hird to teach a Petty School in the Parish of Hutton Rudby in the Diocese of York till John Jackson the licensed Schoolmaster to the Established School there be first called or William Ashwith Notary Public his Proctor who entered this Caveat the fifth day of June in the year of our Lord 1790 [Borthwick Faculties etc 1769-93]

John Jackson 1743-1808 was “an able classical and mathematical scholar and had the sons of many prominent Clevelanders at his school.  He spent his leisure time in making sun-dials, that at Hutton Rudby Church being one … He wrote the well-known hunting song ‘The Cleveland Fox Chase’” [‘The Bards and Authors of Cleveland’ quoted by Eddowes]

1823 Baines:  Hutton:  William Easby, schoolmaster
1823 Baines:  Rudby:  William Preston, schoolmaster

William Sidgwick: “To the memory of William Sidgwick who for several years was master of the National school of this Parish.  On the 19 Feb 1837 he calmly resigned his spirit to Him who gave it at the premature age of 29 years, leaving behind him a character for manliness and Christian piety seldom equalled on this side of Eternity.  Most faithful and assiduous in the discharge of his duty, he filled the station allotted to him with surpassing excellence and endeared all by his amiable disposition.  He was universally regretted, by few more than the Vicar of this Parish who knew and valued his services and inscribes these lines in lasting memory of his worth.” [MI 259 – but the inscription is taken from Eddowes’ account]

1840 Whites:  Rudby:  Robert Preston, schoolmaster

‘Stokesley News & Cleveland Reporter’, 1 Sep 1844:
Marriages:  On Wednesday, July 10th, at Leek, by the Rev W Warrington, Mr Robert Cooper, Master of the National School, Hutton Rudby, to Grace, third surviving daughter of the late John Ripley, Esq., M.D., Knayton, near Thirsk

William Sanderson, 20 years master of Rudby school, died 22 Aug 1864 a68 “This stone was erected by some of his pupils” [MI 167]

1841 Census:  John Sayer 20 schoolmaster in household of Mary Willins, Enterpen
1841 Census:  Mary Sidgwick 85 independent and Charlotte 50 schoolmistress, Enterpen
1841 Census:  William Sanderson 40 schoolmaster with Mary Rowe [?] servant

1851 Census:  Ann Elliot 63 schoolmistress b Ayton Bank, Durham
1851 Census:  Charlotte Sidgwick 58 schoolmistress b Rudby
1851 Census:  Thomas Maddison 30 schoolmaster b Sedgefield & family, in Enterpen
1851 Census:  William Sanderson 54 classical, mathematical, arithmetical teacher b Hutton, in Rudby with Mary Roe 60 b Egton, house servant

1861 Census:  Ann Elliot 72 (S) schoolmistress, private school, b Northumberland
1861 Census:  George Laurence 39 schoolmaster b Spofforth, with wife & child

1871 Census:  Ann Elliot 83 schoolmistress
1871 Census:  Spencer Holmes 28 schoolmaster b Addingham, Leeds, with wife b Durham
1871 Census:  Isabel Tinkler 24 (S) schoolmistress b Northallerton, lodging with the Bainbridges

1872 Post Office Directory:  National School, Spencer Holmes, master; Miss Mary Tinker, mistress
William Heaviside, schoolmaster of Hutton Rudby, was a witness of Mr Barlow’s Will on 15 April 1875
as was Elizabeth Fowler, Schoolmistress, Hutton Rudby


GA 84:  3 Mar 1826:  Will of Arthur Douglas of Skutterskelfe, gardener:  his house, weavers shops & garth lying contiguous, now occ by George Wright and others, and his 2 cottages now occ by Hannah Kay & [ - ] Peacock:  beneficiaries: Alvey Kay and Catherine Kay, children of testator’s late niece Mary Kay, and testator’s sisters Alice Scorer and Ann Hutton decd


early Aug 1830:  Anthony Wiles saw Robert Goldsbrough, Thomas Grundy, William Patterson and George Sanderson “at Scotson’s, public-house … They were sitting in the front kitchen drinking.  They might have “teens” of pints of ale.  The prisoner paid for them;  he paid half-a-crown every two or three pints.  They remained there till about four in the morning;  they came in at twelve o’clock at night” [Yorkshire Gazette 12 Mar 1842]

George Scotson widower of Hutton married Alice Gray of Darlington on 20 Dec 1833 [witnesses:  Matthew Scotson, Sarah Scotson]

Seamer  see also Seymour

1823 Baines:  Hutton:  William Seamer, linen manufacturer

FQ 434:  14 & 15 Apr 1829:  John Seamour occupied land belonging to Elizabeth Sleigh

GG 130:  31 Oct 1835:  Thomas Spence of Hutton weaver & Dorothy his wife (1) Henry Collins of Stokesley gent (2):  2 houses now used as one, the weaver’s shop adjoinging & the garden or orchard of 1r behind, occ by Thomas Spence; the butcher’s shop adjoining the weaver’s shop occ by William Sherwood:  bounded by Lord Falkland to E, street to W, Mrs Kingston to N, Edmund Taylor to S; also Gowdie/Gowlay Hill Garth 1a with cowhouse occ by Thomas Richardson:  bounded by John Charlton to E, by Francis Stainthorpe to W, by street to N, by Jane Willans & Edward Meynell to S; also house with garden & garth behind 2r, occ by William Merrington:  bounded by street to E, William Wood to W, John Seamer to N, John Rymers & Francis Stainthorpe to S; also 3 closes formerly 2 closes called the Cottager 7a, previously occ by William Braithwaite as tenant to William Spence decd:  bounded by Robert Halliday Dobson to E, George Hunter & William Ableson to W, by Rounton road to N, by Richard Johnson to S; “& all other the messuages lands tenements and hereditaments formerly belonging to Thomas Smith late of Hutton yeoman decd and comprised in his Will”

Tithe Map from Elizabeth Sleigh:  John Seamer occ 137, 138, 141, 142

John Seamer was a subscribers to the Wesleyan Youth’s Instructor in 1840

No comments:

Post a Comment