REJOICINGS AT INGLEBY GREENHOWIt was a day of gaiety and festivity long to be remembered at Ingleby Manor, on Tuesday last, the 23rd inst., in celebration of the marriage of Miss Foulis, of Ingleby Manor, to the Hon. Mr Phillip Sidney, only son of Lord de Lisle, of Penshurst, in Kent, which took place in London on that day.
At two o'clock in the afternoon, in a commodious rustic tent, beautifully fitted up and festooned with evergreens and bloom [sic], about seventy gentlemen, including the tenant farmers on the estates, sat down to a substantial dinner with fine brown October and punch, served up in first-rate style by Widow Hunt, of the Village Inn. John Peirson, Esq., of Thornton Fields, presided, supported on the left by John H Handyside, Esq., of Stokesley, on the right, by Thomas Garbutt, Esq., of Yarm; the vice-chair being occupied by Mr Henry Chapman of Hutton Rudby.
Tea was provided at the Village Inn, for the wives and daughters of the tenantry, which was most tastefully set out, and the room chastely ornamented with wreaths of evergreens flowers, and orange blossom, a huge bride's cake taking command in the centre of the table. Afterwards a ball took place, which was kept up with great spirit.
It must not be omitted that a fatted ox was slaughtered, and an ample supply of beef given to every poor family in the villages of Ingleby and Battersby so that the aged and infirm, as well as the young and healthy, might each and all rejoice on this auspicious event.
Widow Hunt of the Village Inn was Mrs Mary Hunt, then aged 52. In the census of 1851 she stated that she was born in Hutton, and I think this means Hutton Rudby. She will have been assisted by her daughter Mary, aged 22. She also had a 15 year old son, John.
John Peirson was a land agent; Thornton Fields farm is off the Redcar Road, near Guisborough.
John Hepburn Handyside was a surgeon in Stokesley; he married Hannah Coates, daughter of the solicitor James Coates in Stokesley in 1845.
Thomas Garbutt was a Yarm solicitor.
Mr Henry Chapman of Hutton Rudby was a farmer and land agent. The family farmed in Enterpen for many years.
Hutton Rudby had a couple of other links with this story besides Henry Chapman.
Firstly, the Foulis family owned land in the Sexhow area and, secondly, Lucius Cary of the Falkland family, owners for a time of the Rudby and Skutterskelfe estates, was buried at the groom's family estate of Penshurst in 1871. Lucius was the only child of Lucius Cary and Amelia Fitzclarence, daughter of William IV. Amelia is commemorated by a tablet in Hutton Rudby church, (for details, see The People behind the Plaques.)