RUDBY-IN-CLEVELAND is a township, parish, and small village, 4 miles south-west from Stokesley, and 6 south-east from Yarm, in the west division of Langbaurgh liberty, Stokesley union and county court district, rural deanery of Cleveland, archdeaconry of Cleveland, and diocese of York, situated on the northern bank of the river Leven.
The living is a vicarage, with Middleton and East Rounton annexed, joint yearly value £270, with residence, in the gift of Viscount Falkland and held by the Rev. Robert Joseph Barlow, M.A of Trinity College, Dublin. The vicarage is a neat modern building, situated on a commanding eminence about a mile from the village, erected by the present incumbent in 1843.
Adjoining to the churchyard, to the west, is a school-house, erected and endowed about the year 1740, at the expense of Charles Bathurst, esq., for the education of boys and girls.
The charities, bequeathed by Lady Amherst, are of £10 yearly value. Viscount Falkland is lord of the manor and chief landowner.
The soil is loamy; subsoil, strong clay. The chief crops are wheat, beans and oats. The population in 1861 was 69, and in 1871, 61; the area is 880 acres; gross estimated rental, £1,341; rateable value, £1,222.
Parish Clerk, Spencer Holmes.
CARRIERS TO -
MIDDLESBROUGH – James Sidgwick, Friday
STOCKTON – John Bainbridge, Wednesday and Saturday; William Richardson & James Sidgwick, Wednesday
STOKESLEY – William Richardson, Saturday
Hutton Rudby, or HUTTON-JUXTA-RUDBY, 4 miles west-south-west of Stokesley, a township and extensive village in Rudby-in-Cleveland parish, situated near the river Leven, the banks of which rise abruptly and almost perpendicularly from the water’s edge.
The National school, erected in 1836, is a handsome stone building. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel here, and the former have a Centenary school. Here are two manufacturies for linen and sailcloth, which employ a number of hands. Many of the inhabitants are employed in handloom weaving. A part of the village is known by the name of Enterpen.
Henry Passman, esq., is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are Viscount Falkland, Lord De L’Isle and Dudley, and the Trustees of Turner’s Hospital. The soil is strong loam; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 2,341 acres; gross estimated rental, £4,526; rateable value, £3,843; and the population in 1871 was 768.
POST OFFICE. – Henry Willins, receiver. Letters through Yarm arrive at 9.35 a.m; dispatched at 4.15 p.m. Stokesley is the nearest money order office.
National School, Spencer Holmes, master; Miss Mary Tinker, mistress.
East Rounton is a township, village, and chapelry, 7 miles south of Yarm, 7 east of Northallerton, 7 west of Stokesley, and about 2 ½ north-east from the station at Welbury, on the North Eastern Railway, standing upon a gently rising eminence upon the eastern bank of the river Wiske and commands a pleasing prospect of the hanging woods of Ingleby Arncliffe; it is an ancient chapelry under Rudby-in-Cleveland.
The Grange is the seat and property of Isaac Lothian Bell, esq., J.P., who is lord of the manor, and the principal owner. The soil is strong clay; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat and beans. The population in 1861 was 114; the area is 1,565 acres; gross estimated rental, £1,816; rateable value, £1,666. – Letters through Northallerton.
Sexhow is a township in Rudby-in-Cleveland parish, which lies to the south-east of Hutton, 4 miles south-west-by-west of Stokesley, on the south side of the vale of Leven, the property of Lord De L’Isle and Dudley, formerly belonging to the Layton family; their ancient manor house, which stands on the southern bank of the Leven, bearing evident marks of its antiquity, is now occupied as a farmhouse.
The acreage is 501; gross estimated rental, £705; rateable value, £675; and the population in 1861 was 42, and in 1871, 33.
Skutterskelfe, 3miles west-south-west of Stokesley, lying on the northern bank of the Leven, is a small township adjoining to Rudby, on the east; it is the property of Viscount Falkland, whose seat here is a handsome mansion of the Grecian order of architecture, standing on rising ground: it is now the residence of Major Thomas Light Elwon, J.P, Arncliffe, and its richly wooded hills, with the rising grounds of Busby, Whorl Hill, and a range of mountains on the south, form an excellent background and pleasing contrast to the whole.
The population in 1861 was 45, and in 1871, 66; area, 970 acres; gross estimated rental, £1,802; rateable value, £1,422.
Charlton Thomas, farmer
Harrison William, farmer
Knowles Thomas & George, farmers
Mease Joseph Mellanby, registrar of births & deaths
Sidgwick Robert, boot & shoe maker
Smith William, farmer
Stringer Thomas, miller
Barlow Rev. Robert Jsph. M.A [vicar]
Boyle Andrew Allison, M.D
Coombes Samuel Charles, Linden grove
Dale Frederick, F.R.C.S. Enterpen
Garbutt Miss, Enterpen
Wilson Edwin James
Bainbridge Edward, tailor
Bainbridge John, carrier
Bainbridge Matthew, bricklayer
Barker William, butter dealer
Boyle Andrew Allison, M.D, surgeon
Brigham Joseph, farmer, White house
Chapman Henry, farmer & land agent, Enterpen
Codling William, watch & clock maker & shopkeeper
Coombes Samuel Charles, manure & brick manufacturer, Linden grove
Coulson James, farmer, Broad Carr
Dale Frederick, F.R.C.S surgeon, Enterpen
Dalking Joseph, tailor
Davison George, boot & shoe maker
Drydale George, gardener
Foster Robert, miller, Enterpen
Garbutt Christopher, King’s Head
Garbutt Elizabeth (Mrs.), linen manufr
Garbutt Thomas, farmer, Grange
Goldsborough Bartholomew, butcher
Goldsborough William, farmer, Manor ho
Hall Matthew, tailor
Halliman Margaret (Mrs.), grocer
Harland Binnington, farmer, Crow trees
Harrison William, farmer, Toft hill
Honeyman George, grocer & draper
Honeyman Joseph, butcher
Hunt Joseph, blacksmith, Enterpen
Imeson Nicholas, boot & shoe maker
Jackson Nicholas, grocer
Jackson Richard, tailor
Jackson Thomas, butcher
Jackson William, butcher
Kay Alvey, joiner & builder
Meek Christopher, wheelwright
Meynell Robert, Bay Horse, & wheelwright & joiner
Meynell William, joiner, & wheelwright
Oates John, grocer & draper
Oates Robert, boot & shoe maker
Oughtred Nathaniel, commercial travlr
Preston William, painter & glazier
Raney Elizabeth (Mrs.), Wheatsheaf
Reed Thomas, farmer, Cutting thorns
Richardson Isaac, grocer, Enterpen
Richardson James, joiner & steam sawmills, Enterpen
Richardson John, joiner, Enterpen
Richardson Robert, bricklayer
Richardson William, carrier
Rickatson John, farmer, Garden stone
Robinson William, farmer, Enterpen
Scholes John, bobbin manufacturer
Sidgwick James, carrier
Skeen Matthew, farmer, New Close
Smith Edmund, boot & shoe maker
Stainthorpe Charles, butcher, Enterpen
Stephenson Jas, Station hotel, Enterpen
Surtees William, builder & contractor
Weighell John & Wm. farmers, Burnt ho
Weighell Stephen, farmer, Doddle hill
Willins Henry, grocer, linen draper & post master
Wilson Geo. linen & sail cloth manufactr
York John Barker, bricklayer
Bell Isaac Lothian, J.P. The Grange
Pearson James, Haggitt hill
Atkinson David, farmer, Haggitt hill
Davidson William, farmer
Farrar Robert, farmer, Holling’s house
Kilvington John Sanderson, farmer
Lilburn Wm. Black Swan & blacksmith
Pearson James, farmer, Haggitt hill
Richardson Stephen, farmer, Haggitt hl
Ridler Thomas, boot & shoe maker
Routledge John, farmer
Walker Jonathan, Black Horse
Mooras Misses, Old Hall
Chapman Mary Ann (Mrs.), farmer
Coulson Stephen, farmer
Hedley William, farmer
Metcalf Thomas, farmer
Elwon Major Thomas Light, J.P. The Hall
Gowthorp George, Folly hill
Alderson Thomas, farmer
Beardshaw William, farmer
Elliott John, farmer
Storey James, farmer
Wilson Thomas, gardener to Major T.L. Elwon, The Hall
Middleton-upon-Leven is a township and chapelry, standing on the eastern bank of the river Leven, 4 ½ miles south-east of Yarm, in the west division of Langbaugh liberty, Stokesley union and county court district, rural deanery of Stokesley, archdeaconry of Cleveland, and diocese of York; the scenery around is very picturesque.
The church of St Cuthbert is a small edifice of stone, rebuilt in the early part of the present century in the tasteless style of that period: it has a turret and 1 bell: the interior is very plain. The register dates from the year 1650.
The living is a chapelry, annexed to the vicarage of Rudby in Cleveland, yearly value £50, in the gift of Viscount Falkland, and held by the Rev Robert Joseph Barlow, M.A, of Trinity College, Dublin.
Viscount Falkland is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is good loam; subsoil, clay: the chief crops are wheat, barley, and oats. The population in 1861 was 108, and in 1871 was 112; area, 1,129 acres of land; gross estimated rental, £1,370; rateable value, £1,251.-
Letters, through Yarm, arrive at 11 a.m.; dispatched at 2 p.m. Yarm is the nearest money order office.
Dickins Thomas, farmer, Lodge
Harrison William, farmer
Husband, William, farmer
Sleigh Thomas, farmer
Smith Christopher, farmer
Stamper Edward, miller
Thompson John, farmer, Seamer grange
Tweddle John, farmer
Webster Thomas, farmer, Hill house