Tuesday, 2 April 2013

People of Hutton Rudby in the C18/19: Hibberd to Hutton Rudby Association for the Prosecution of Felons

... from my working notes ... accuracy not guaranteed ... for explanatory note, see post of 14 Feb 2013


1840 Whites:  Skutterskelfe:  Philip Hibberd, gamekeeper


FQ 249:  13 & 14 Mar 1829:  exors of Wayne to Barker:  the Carpenters Arms with the cartwrights shop and stable on the west end thereof, the garden and the privy on the south & backside of the premises, bounded by road to East Rounton to E, by Mrs Elizabeth Hildreth to W & S, by road to East Rounton, John Robinson and Mr Farnaby to N – occ by Edward Meynell;  the garth occ by Edward Meynell, bounded by Elizabeth Hildreth to E, by John Burdon to W, by Thomas Passman, Elizabeth Hildreth, Mr Kendall & William Spence to N, by road to East Rounton to S; the site where buildings lately occupied by John & Hannah Kay & taken down by Mark Barker stood; the garth now used as garden ground to the E & backside of the sd site;  the new houses built by Mark Barker on the site and part of the garth: some of the houses and the garden ground “at present unoccupied”, the others occupied by Robert Hall, William Souter, George Sanderson, John Kay, Mary Lamb, Jackson Richardson, John Wild and Thomas Shaw:  bounded by house & lands bel to Rev Richard Shepherd to E & S, by Arthur Douglas and townstreet to N & W

FU 487:  16 May 1832:  South Side, tithe map 194-6:  John Passman of Hutton yeoman (1) James Robinson of Whorlton yeoman (2) Robert Pulman of Stockton gent [solicitor] (3):  building with cowhouse & premises adjoining, and garth of 2r adjoining to the N:  bounded by Jane Farnaby to E, by Mrs Hildreth to W, by street to N, by Mark Barker to S:  occ by John Passman & James Harrison & Mary Kingston;  and the house with garden adjoining, bounded by street to E & N, and by above prems to W & S


5 Jun 1790:  Let the Ordinary be Cautious that no licence be granted to James Hird to teach a Petty School in the Parish of Hutton Rudby in the Diocese of York till John Jackson the licensed Schoolmaster to the Established School there be first called or William Ashwith Notary Public his Proctor who entered this Caveat the fifth day of June in the year of our Lord 1790 [Borthwick Faculties etc 1769-93]

7 Dec 1797:  HR:  William Surtees married Eden Dodds; witnesses:  Thomas & Mary Jackson, Ann Brigham, John Eland, Thomas Hird and Elizabeth Catchaside

FS 461:  2 & 3 Feb 1831:  Thomas Hird had been a tenant of Rudby estate


Jun 1866:  Two friends, G Coates & J Hogg, gave £5 to the subscription for Thomas Garbutt

William Hogg was churchwarden 1869-70


FQ 560:  2 & 3 Nov 1829:  ppty bought by Jane Willans widow in Enterpen:  garth of 1r 3p where a cottage formerly stood, formerly occ by John Miller, then by George Wilson, Mary Young & Hannah Young, then by Matthew Richardson jnr, then by John Burden, bounded by Thomas Wayne to N, E & W, and by street called Enterpen to S; with the houses “lately erected upon the garth” & now occupied by Simeon Burden, John Smelt, Paul Oates, John Goldsbrough, William Jowsey, Abraham Holdgate and William Burnsides


1872 Post Office Directory:  Rudby:  Spencer Holmes, parish clerk and master of the National School


1832:  Jacob Honeyman was buried on 14 Nov a75 [PRs]
Jacob Honeyman’s name does not appear in the list “Sepultorum nomina”

The first Honeyman to appear in the village was William Honeyman, whose birth is recorded in Edinburgh in 1716 [Hastings:  Ind Vill]

MI:  99:  Jacob, son of Jacob & Jane Whorlton 1748-53, Jane 1713-93, and Martha daughter of William & Jane Honeyman d1818

An LDS member entry on the IGI:  Jacob Honeyman born about 1757 in Hutton Rudby, the son of William Honeyman & Catherine Codling [NB Not "Codlingwere" as stated in the IGI - I understand from Dave Honneyman that this is a mistranscription caused by running two words run together and the original states that "William Huneman and Catherine Codling were married"], died 14 Nov 1832.  William Honeyman had been born in Midlothian in 1716 and had children Thomas c1738, Mary c1753, and Jacob c1757.

9 Aug 1785:  bap of Jacob, son of Will. Honeyman, weaver

Yorkshire Poll Book 1807:  Hutton Rudby:  William Honeyman weaver

28 Dec 1807:  Hannah Honeyman married Thomas Graham, weaver of North End:  one of the witnesses was Jacob Honeyman.  Hannah & Thomas’s son Jacob Honeyman Graham was bap in 1811. He became a music teacher, and is visiting his father in 1861 Census

1 Aug 1824:  Jacob Honeyman marr Mary Sadler, HR [IGI Beryl]
26 Feb 1827:  Martha, dau of Jacob/Mary Honeyman [IGI Beryl]

EH 212:  9 & 10 Oct 1818:  William Honeyman of Hutton, weaver, and his wife Jane, and William Braithwaite of Stockton, merchant (1)  Jacob Honeyman, weaver

EG 295:  12 Oct 1818:  Jacob Honeyman weaver (1) John Appleby of Stokesley gent (2) William Newby of Helmsley butcher (3)

EH 212 & EG 295:  1818:  relate to the same ppty:  a house which had been divided into two tenements and in 1818 was “lately occupied in four different tenements or dwellinghouses”:  tenants were previously Jane Whorlton & her tenants William Easby, Oliver Jackson & William Honeyman; tenants were in 1818 William Honeyman, Thomas Graham, Robert Walton and Robert Codling:  bounded to E by Christopher Flintoff decd, to S & W by townstreet, to N by David Simpson decd

ET 257:  2 & 3 Jan 1823:  Jacob Honeyman was trustee for John Milner in a purchase

1823 Baines:  Hutton:  William Honeyman, grocer

FQ 434:  14 & 15 Apr 1829:  Mary Honeyman occupied land belonging to Elizabeth Sleigh

Jacob Honeyman bought a Catechism for 1 ½d in the List – Middleton Book
Mrs Honeyman is in a list of names in the Middleton Book
Martha Honeyman is in a List of Girls – Middleton Book
J Honeyman was in A List of Boys – Middleton Book

1841 Census:  Thomas Honeyman 50 weaver and family, East Side/Barkers Row
1841 Census:  Robert Honeyman 50 ag lab and family, with Ann Meynel 29 and Isabella Meynel 5 and Matthew Meynel 2, South Side

1851 Census:  Walker’s Yard:  Ann Honeyman M 54 weaver’s wife bHutton, sons James 21 and William 19 ag lab, and grandson Thomas Ransom 6 and daughter Mary Whitehad M 29 mechanic’s wife all bHutton
1851 Census:  Walker’s Yard:  Thomas Honeyman 25 ag lab bHutton and wife  Hannah 20 bStockton
1851 Census:  South Side:  George Honeyman 33 licensed hawker, Hannah 26, and Ann 8, Joseph 6, Richard 4 and Elizabeth 2, all b Hutton

Robert Honeyman married Isabella Braithwaite, and had a son Robert, who in 1861 was of 1 Hanover Street, Walworth Road, Newington, who sold his ppty in HR to his cousin Robert Braithwaite jnr. 
28 Sep 1835:  Will of John Braithwaite:  daughter Isabella wife of Robert Honeyman, has son Robert Honeyman the younger, who in 1861 is of 1 Hanover Street, Walworth Road, Newington, and who then sells his ppty in HR to his cousin Robert Braithwaite jnr.  Isabella had survived her father, but died intestate before her husband, whose Will did not dispose of his real estate, leaving his son Robert jnr his heir-at-law [East Side deeds].  John Braithwaite’s children were Isabella Honeyman, Mary Oates, Robert, grandson John Oates [East Side deeds]

17 Mar 1850:  Robert Honeyman snr buried HR [East Side deeds]

17 Nov 1856:  Thomas Honeyman occupied a tenement & weaver’s shop on East Side, previously occupied by William Hansell [East Side deeds]

1872 Post Office Directory:  Hutton Rudby:  George Honeyman, grocer & draper
1872 Post Office Directory:  Hutton Rudby:  Joseph Honeyman, butcher

1887:  memorial stones at the new Primitive Methodist chapel were laid by K Rickatson, W Seymour (Spout Bank), Mrs Honeyman, Mrs Eden, Mrs Hall and Mr E Bainbridge; and on behalf of Viscount Falkland, G Y Blair, and Rev Oliver Jackson, a Primitive Methodist minister born in Hutton Rudby [G Milburn’s notes]


FQ 434:  14 & 15 Apr 1829:  John Horne occupied house, gardens & premises in Enterpen belonging to Elizabeth Sleigh


“Tamar Horner 1s” appears in William Sayers Calculations 1815 in the Middleton Book
FA 299:  5 & 6 Nov 1824:  2 houses with garden, orchard, shop & stable in Hutton, occ previously by John Horner & Thomasin Burton, then by Thomas Edmund & Thomas Dalkin, then by David Hebbron & John Wiles:  parties:  David Hebbron of Hutton butcher & Michael Hebdon of Stokesley weaver, James Eden of Hutton grocer, Simon Kelsey, Robert Longstaff of Broughton yeoman, William Driver of Yarm gent

15 & 16 Feb 1830:  Tamar Horner occupied a tenement on East Side mortgaged by Edmund Taylor [East Side deeds]


1832:  Jane How was buried Sun 7 Oct a1 [PRs]

2 Feb 1782:  John How 23 cordwainer of Whorlton married Ann Key/?Kay.  They had 3 daughters baptised between 1783 and 1788. 
In 1789 Ann How died, and two years later John, then described as pauper, married Margaret Farnaby. 
John & Margaret How had seven children baptised between 1792 & 1806. 
John & Margaret How’s daughter Sarah, after the birth and death of an illegitimate daughter, married Thomas Bage in 1824; a witness was John Ingledew:  a John Ingledew had married Margaret Cook in 1828.
John & Margaret How’s daughter Jane had an illegitimate son in 1825, and died that year.  Her son died two years later.
John & Margaret How’s first son John was drowned aged 7; the younger John married Sarah Whorlton on  21 Oct 1829.  John Cook was a witness at the marriage.
John How jnr & Sarah Whorlton had several children between 1830 & 1840.  They lived in Enterpen.  He was a weaver

1823 Baines:  Hutton:  John Howe, shoemaker

28 Feb 1831:  bap of Jane, daughter of John & Sarah How of Enterpen, weaver

Mrs Howe is in a list of names in the Middleton Book

1840 Whites:  Hutton Rudby:  John Howe, boot & shoe maker

1841 Census:  John Howe 35 linen weaver and family, with Jane Whorlton 20 servant, William Robinson 20 servant, John Howe 80 shoemaker and Margaret Howe 70, Enterpen

1851 Census:  Barker’s Row:  John Howe 47 hand loom weaver, Sarah 41, Jane 16, William 11 and Joseph 7;  all b Hutton

1881 Census:  Adam St, Middlesbrough:  John Howe 72 general labourer, wife Sarah 72 and son Joseph unmarried 32 also general labourer;  all b Hutton Rudby
1881 Census:  Dale St, Middlesbrough:  William Howe 43 labourer b Hutton Rudby, wife Mary Ann 47 b London, and boarder Harry Dobson 13 b Middlesbrough


J Hugil [crossed out] was in A List of Boys – Middleton Book
‘Hugils’ are listed in Barlow’s Notebook, giving 6d to charity collection

1841 Census:  Elen Hugill 60 ag lab, Enterpen
1841 Census:  Butter Hill:  Thomas Hugill 19 servant with William Robinson
1841 Census:  Butter Hill:  Rachael Hugill 18 indep [?] with household of Thomas Legg
1841 Census:  Middleton, cottage:  Thomas Hugill 35 labourer and family
1841 Census:  Middleton, cottage:  David Hugill 20 labourer and family


Jane Hunt was paid 6d in “Expenses repairing Church” – Barlow’s Notebook

1851 Census:  East Side:  Thomas Hunt 34 ag lab bGreenhow Yks, Jane Hunt 30 bHutton, children Margaret 3 and Joseph 1 bHutton, and Thomas’s stepdaughter Anne Whorlton 8 bHutton

1872 Post Office Directory:  Hutton Rudby:  Joseph Hunt, blacksmith, Enterpen

1881 Census:  North Side nr Bay Horse:  Jane Hunt 62 gen servant, dau Margaret Fortune 33 dressmaker & her husband Denton Fortune 28 butcher b West Rounton & children, and son Joseph Hunt 31 groom


GG 130:  31 Oct 1835:  Thomas Spence of Hutton weaver & Dorothy his wife (1) Henry Collins of Stokesley gent (2):  2 houses now used as one, the weaver’s shop adjoinging & the garden or orchard of 1r behind, occ by Thomas Spence; the butcher’s shop adjoining the weaver’s shop occ by William Sherwood:  bounded by Lord Falkland to E, street to W, Mrs Kingston to N, Edmund Taylor to S; also Gowdie/Gowlay Hill Garth 1a with cowhouse occ by Thomas Richardson:  bounded by John Charlton to E, by Francis Stainthorpe to W, by street to N, by Jane Willans & Edward Meynell to S; also house with garden & garth behind 2r, occ by William Merrington:  bounded by street to E, William Wood to W, John Seamer to N, John Rymers & Francis Stainthorpe to S; also 3 closes formerly 2 closes called the Cottager 7a, previously occ by William Braithwaite as tenant to William Spence decd:  bounded by Robert Halliday Dobson to E, George Hunter & William Ableson to W, by Rounton road to N, by Richard Johnson to S; “& all other the messuages lands tenements and hereditaments formerly belonging to Thomas Smith late of Hutton yeoman decd and comprised in his Will”


FB 107:  15 Sep 1824:  3 closes on Doctor Lane [sic]:  parties:  Richard Eland of Leighton Buzzard Bedfordshire minister of the gospel (1) Edward Barry of Newington Causeway Surrey upholsterer (2):  previously occ by William Dawson and George Kingston and now by James Eland:  bounded by Doctor Lane to E, by Robert Huntley & by Samuel Hebbron to W, by Hutton to Crathorne road to N, by road to Rounton to S:  described in indre of 3 Mar last past to which the sd Richard Eland and William Eland currier were parties

Yorkshire Gazette 21 Aug 1841 and 12 Mar 1842:  William Huntley inherited property from his father, a farmer who died in 1821 or 1822, leaving an imperfect will which led to a Chancery case.  Huntley became a weaver, and “wrought at [George Farnaby’s] shop”; after his marriage [no record found] he moved to Eaglescliffe, but continued to visit his mother in Hutton, staying with Robert Goldsbrough when he did so.  Huntley finally came into the first instalment of his share on 22 Jul 1830, receiving from the Yarm solicitor William Garbutt the sum of £85 13s 4d;  he disappeared shortly afterwards.  Huntley was seen in company with Robert Goldsbrough and George Garbutt by James Maw, to whom Huntley said ‘Where has thou been thou caffey dog?’

Eleven years later a skeleton was found five or six miles from the place where Huntley was last seen, and it was believed locally that the body was that of Huntley.  Robert Goldsbrough, who had been popularly suspected of foul play in 1830, was tried for the murder but was acquitted.  Thomas Grundy, who was implicated in the matter and accused Goldsbrough of the deed, committed suicide in York Castle, and George Garbutt, who had been with Goldsbrough and Huntley when the latter was last seen by witnesses, had disappeared. 

William Huntley therefore appears to have been the son of Robert & Elizabeth Huntley, whose children according to the IGI were John 1802 and William 1804 (b Kirby), Robert 1809 and Solomon 1811 (b Ingleby Arncliffe) and Ann 1814 (b Hutton Rudby).  John, Solomon and Ann are all buried at Hutton Rudby.  Robert Huntley aged 50 was buried at Hutton Rudby on 17 Jul 1818.  A Robert Huntley married Elizabeth Carter in 1801 in Long Newton; an Elizabeth Huntley is buried there in 1841.

William Huntley was described by his solicitor as having “a large head and a projecting tooth from the left underjaw;  very low between the eyes;  very long behind in the head;  his head sloped particularly from the forehead.” [Yorkshire Gazette 12 Mar 1842]


Easter dues settled with Husband up to Jany 1st 1867 – Barlow’s Notebook

1872 Post Office Directory:  Middleton:  William Husband, farmer


1840 Whites:  Hutton Rudby:  Joseph Hutchinson, farmer, Toft Hill

1851 Census:  Toft Hill:  Ann Hutchinson widow 67 farmer of 100 acres b Barton, Durham, with children Mary Ann 25 and Ralph 23, both b Leven Bridge;  and farm servants Thomas Dowson 35 b Norton and James Richardson 26 b Ingleby Greenhow, and house servants Margaret Bainbridge 19 b Carlton and Isabella Reay 15 b Haverton Hill, Co Durham

1861 Census:  Toft Hill:  Ralph Hutchinson, wife and 3 children

1881 Census:  Toft Hill:  William Harrison & Elizabeth Rebecca Harrison, widow of Ralph Hutchinson, with the Hutchinson and Harrison children

1891 Census:  Toft Hill:  Elizabeth Harrison, farmer & widow
Joseph and John Hutchinson were originators of the tree planting

William Harrison of Toft Hill 1826-1886 [MI]
Elizabeth Rebecca Harrison of Toft Hill 1836-1920 [MI]

Mrs Harrison went to live at Highfield


18 May 1792 & 13 Aug 1803:  John Hutton occupied a house & garth on East Side [Paley ppty] [East Side deeds]

23 Nov 1808:  John Hutton occupied property – possibly house & garth or yard – on East Side bought by Joseph, Thomas & William Whorlton in 1808 [Hill ppty] [East Side deeds]

13 Jul 1815:  John Hutton married Jane Shout [witnesses:  James Harrison, Jas Eland]

Tithe Map:  John Hutton was still a tenant of William Whorlton on East Side, occupying the house just north of the Wheatsheaf
Tithe Map:  John Hutton was a tenant of James Flounders, occupying a garden & garth in the Stringers Row area

1823 Baines:  Hutton:  John Hutton [listed twice], farmer
1840 Whites:  Hutton Rudby:  John Hutton, farmer

1841 Census:  John Hutton 50 cow keeper, Jane Hutton 45, on North Side

1851 Census:  North Side:  John Hutton widower 60 retd farmer b Hutton

23 Jul 1846:  John Hutton chaired the vestry meeting on 23 July 1846 for auditing the churchwardens’ accounts

GA 84:  3 Mar 1826:  Will of Arthur Douglas of Skutterskelfe, gardener:  his house, weavers shops & garth lying contiguous, now occ by George Wright and others, and his 2 cottages now occ by Hannah Kay & [ - ] Peacock:  beneficiaries: Alvey Kay and Catherine Kay, children of testator’s late niece Mary Kay, and testator’s sisters Alice Scorer and Ann Hutton decd

5 Nov 1814:  George Hutton married Barbara Bowes, Kildale [IGI]
10 Sep 1815:  Ann Hutton, dau of George & Barbara, baptised at Kildale [IGI]
9 Jun 1836:  Ann Hutton married George Wilson, St Andrews, Newcastle [IGI]

Hutton Rudby Association for the Prosecution of Felons

40 members, mainly farmers.  Established 1835, annual cost per member 2/- to 2/6d for protection of person and property, by paying for informers and prosecutions.  At its annual dinner at the Wheatsheaf in 1841 it was claimed that no felony had been committed in the eight townships during the previous 2 ½ years.  [Yorkshire Gazette 16.1.1841].  Thereafter nothing known of it, other than the fact that it still existed in Feb 1843 when it was mentioned in the Cleveland Repertory and Stokesley Advertiser. [Hastings:  Local Govt & Socy]

Cleveland Repertory & Stokesley Advertiser:  1 Feb 1843:
 “Police Intelligence”:  January 28th.  Before Sir Wm Foulis, Bart. and R Hildyard, Esq. William Carter of Hutton Rudby, weaver, for having on the 7th ult. committed a trespass on the farm and lands in the occupation of Leonard Appleton in search of game.  Fined £2 and costs.

Cleveland Repertory & Stokesley Advertiser:  1 Feb 1843:
“Hutton Rudby”:  The annual meeting of the Hutton Rudby Association for the Prosecution of Felons, was held I the National school room, on the 2nd of last month, which was numerously attended by its members.  Mr Righton, of Rudby, was unanimously elected treasurer, in the place of the late Mr Harrison Terry;  and Mr Jackson, solicitor.  The treasurer’s accounts were audited and passed, and several new members were proposed and admitted.
This Association was established in the year 1835:  it includes the townships of Hutton, Rudby, Sexhow, Skutterskelfe, Crathorne, and Potto.
“Hutton Rudby and Enterpen
Far more rogues than honest men.”
Some of our readers will recollect that this saying was proverbial to Hutton and the little village of Enterpen, which is a part of the town.  But a few years back these places were infested by a set of theives, and, it is to be feared, murderers were amongst their inhabitants.  Now crime is rarely heard of, and this in a great measure may be attributed to the active exertions of the Association in detecting and bringing to justice the delinquents.
An excellent dinner was provided at the Wheat Sheaf Inn, by Mrs Rayney.  It was pleasing to notice the good feeling and conviviality which existed among a company of as loyal, true-hearted, and substantial farmers as our country can boast of:  men of the old school, and who remind us of the lines,
“When Adam delved and Eve span,
Who was then the gentleman?”

No comments:

Post a Comment