1851 Census: Linden Grove: Forbes MacBean 60 Lt Col Artillery full pay b Annapolis Nova Scotia British subj, wife Eliza 65 b St Petersburg British subj, daughters Elizabeth 25, Margaret Murray 20 & Marianne Georgina 18, all b Woolwich; wife’s sister Miss Marianne Scougall 45 indep also b St Petersburg; servants: groom Joseph Dawson 21 b Baysdale, housemaid Elizabeth Trenham 35 b Stokesley, cook Mary Wailes 23 b HR and boy groom William Ramshaw 13 b HR
John Mackfarlan was in Stephen Calvert’s class in the Wesleyan class lists 1836
Dr John Macfarlane (1806-80) was born in Edinburgh. On 12 Dec 1821 he was apprenticed to Henry Johnson of Edinburgh for 5 years. He did not attend university lectures, taking his LRCS at Edinburgh on 6 Jun 1826. From 1831 to 1833 he studied at University College, London, taking his LSA in 1834. In 1836 he married Sarah Bailey Holdsworth. Their first son, John, was born on 29 Apr 1837 and baptised at Hutton Rudby; he died the next year. John and Sarah then had six children, all born at Leeds between 1840 and 1846. They emigrated to Australia in 1849, and John registered his MD from Edinburgh in 1850. Dr Stout wondered whether Macfarlane was the unqualified doctor appointed by the Vestry in 1833. [Dr Stout]
15 Jun 1837: Charles Maclean of Whorlton weaver married Jane Cook of Rudby [witnesses: Peter Tenisily?, William Hebbron]
1841 Census: John Maclane 30 weaver and family on East Side
1841 Census: Charles Maclane 25 linen weaver and family, North End
Charles Maclane, weaver, is listed as one of the Trustees of Hutton Rudby Wesleyan chapel – date not given, possibly mid 1850s
“Maclean son ill” was given 2s6d in Feb 1853, in Barlow’s Notebook
1851 Census: North End: Charles Maclane 38 handloom weaver linen b Swainby, Jane 34 b Hutton, and children Ann 13, Robert 6 and Charles Tom 2, all b Hutton; and lodger Charles Toy widower 74 ag lab “Italian”
1861 Census: Enterpen: Mrs Hannah Terry widow 63 b Skelton, servant Ann McLane 23 and lodger Miss Dorothy Garbutt 48 b Marton
John McLaughlin (18) groom b Ireland was servant at the Vicarage in 1851 Census
1840 Whites: Skutterskelfe: Roderic McRea, gardener
1841 Census: Skutterskelfe Hall: Roderick McRea 32 b Scotland, steward
1841 Census: Butter Hill: Mary McRea 20 b Scotland servant with William Robinson
from Dr Geoffrey Stout:
Dr Mark Malvin, baptised 30 Nov 1854 at Eston.
1871 Redcar & Saltburn News: reports success of preliminary exams.
1881 Medical Directory: Poplar Villa, Hutton Rudby, medical officer & public vaccinator for Stokesley Union and Swainby Mines.
1881 Census: Poplar Villa, Enterpen, with wife and baby daughter born Hutton Rudby.
1881 Middlesbrough News & Cleveland Advertiser: announced resignation of his posts.
1883 Medical Directory: addressed unconfirmed.
1884 Medical Directory & 1895 Kellys: at Scarborough
Mr Barlow’s hedge was cut in 1856 by Luke Marshall Jas Richardson’s man – Barlow’s Notebook
Wellcome Library Local History MSS: William Pannell Marshall (fl 1828) surgeon, apothecary and accoucheur, Hutton Rudby: photocopy and typed transcript of autograph letter to his father, William Marshall (architect at Northallerton), describing his training in London (inc. body-snatchers), plus photocopy of two trade cards announcing Marshall’s commencing practice in Hutton Rudby, 1828 and n.d. (MS 7312/10-12)
A trade card was reproduced on the cover of one of the Hutton Rudby photograph collections as a “card introducing a Mr Marshall, Apothecary, Surgeon and Accoucheur dated 8 Dec 1828”
1887: active members of the Primitive Methodist chapel at the time of building included Robert Maughan, William Graham Hall, Edward Bainbridge, Thomas Sage and Kilvington Rickatson of Trenholme Bar [G Milburn’s notes]
Mary Ellen Milburn b1850, dau of Thomas Milburn, marr Robert Maughan. He worked for the Wilsons’ mill and was very active in the Primitive Methodist Chapel. They had no children.
Undated newspaper clipping (c1922):
A Cleveland Golden Wedding
Mr & Mrs R S Maughan, Hutton Rudby
Hand loom weaving recalled
Our Cleveland correspondent writes:
Married 50 years ago at the Stockton Registry Office, Mr & Mrs Robert S Maughan, Hutton Rudby in Cleveland, have just celebrated their golden wedding.
Mr Maughan, who is a native of Eston, is 75 years of age. Mrs Maughan, who before her marriage was a Miss Mary Anne Milburn, is 72, and is a native of Hutton Rudby. Her father, the late Mr Thomas Milburn, was a weaver in the employment of Mr Allen Wilson [sic], who retired and closed his works about 14 years ago. After their marriage Mr and Mrs Maughan went to reside at Stockton, and with the exception of that time, Mrs Maughan has lived in Hutton Rudby all her life.
When at Stockton, Mr Maughan worked at the Norton Furnaces, but later was a bleacher and worked for 36 years at Allen Wilson's Sail Cloth Works. For nine of these years he was a journeyman, and for the remaining 27 years was a foreman.
For 47 years he has been connected with the Primitive Methodist Chapel, both in the Sunday school and as a local preacher, and he has held practically all the offices open to a layman.
At one time, in the earlier part of his life, Mr Maughan lived at Redcar, for about a year or so, and he remembers how there were three wrecks in one day, one of the ships being loaded with Dantzic wheat.
Mr Maughan told our representative that there have been few changes, on the whole, in Hutton Rudby - only a few houses have been built. Years ago, he said, "there used to be loads of empty houses," but now they are very scarce.
Mr and Mrs Maughan have no family, but they have a large number of nieces and nephews, and at the celebration of their golden wedding there were no fewer than 24 relatives, including a great-great niece, aged one and a half years.
Mrs Maughan recalls how the hand loom weaving was one of the chief occupations of the district, and in the very house in which they now live, a hand loom was erected about 60 years ago. Linen material, "huck-a-back" towelling, and "tick" were all made by these looms, and Mrs Maughan remembers that when she was a girl of about 12 years of age, she had a linen dress, the material of which she spun herself, and it had also been woven in her own house.
When the steam looms were started, a manufactury was erected at Hutton Rudby, near the church, and her father worked there, while her mother also acted as "web-picker."
An interesting story was also told of a Belgian refugee, an artist, who visited Hutton Rudby. One day, when he came to their house (which is also the one in which they now reside) he was so struck by the antique appearance of the house and contents that he asked permission to paint it. Permission was granted, and the old fireplace, with its "crane and wreckin'," on which was hung a kettle, became the background of a picture, the centre of which was occupied by Mrs Maughan, with an open Testament before her. A musk plant was placed in the window, sweet peas upon the table, etc. and so charming was the result that the work was eventually hung in the Academy!
Remarking as to their age, Mr and Mrs Maughan pointed out that they were by no means the oldest of the inhabitants of the village; there were two people, husband and wife, who were both well over 90 years.
late July 1830: James Maw lived in Hutton Rudby at that time. He met Huntley, Goldsbrough and Garbutt on 30 July at 9 pm, “near to the Bridle-lane, leading to Crathorne, on the Middleton and Rudby road … Huntley spoke to me. He said ‘Where has thou been thou caffey dog?’ … ”. Maw went with the constable, Bewick, to question Goldsbrough, and again with the Catchasides, John Cook and other neighbours; he gave a vivid account of the interviews. Maw had been in prison for absconding from his master’s service, and had been accused to taking money belonging to a trades’union. [Yorkshire Gazette 12 Mar 1842]
Yorkshire Poll Book 1807: Welbury: William Mawlam farmer (freehold in Hutton Rudby)