Tuesday, 16 April 2013

People of Hutton Rudby in the C18/19: Lamb to Lythe

... from my working notes ... accuracy not guaranteed ... for explanatory note, see post of 14 Feb 2013


John Lamb, yeoman of Rudby, was the grandson & devisee of Christopher Legg; Legg had purchased East Side ppty in 1758, which Lamb sold in 1779

1784-6:  John Lamb, Sexhow, was churchwarden

12 Dec 1804:  Richard Jowsey married Jane Lamb [witnesses:  John Seymour, Thos Eland]

7 Aug 1822:  B D Suggitt left to Mrs Mary Lamb of Hutton £100 or £10 a year, as his executor thought best

Mary Lamb is a tenant of Barkers Row in 1829

FQ 249:  13 & 14 Mar 1829:  exors of Wayne to Barker:  the Carpenters Arms with the cartwrights shop and stable on the west end thereof, the garden and the privy on the south & backside of the premises, bounded by road to East Rounton to E, by Mrs Elizabeth Hildreth to W & S, by road to East Rounton, John Robinson and Mr Farnaby to N – occ by Edward Meynell;  the garth occ by Edward Meynell, bounded by Elizabeth Hildreth to E, by John Burdon to W, by Thomas Passman, Elizabeth Hildreth, Mr Kendall & William Spence to N, by road to East Rounton to S; the site where buildings lately occupied by John & Hannah Kay & taken down by Mark Barker stood; the garth now used as garden ground to the E & backside of the sd site;  the new houses built by Mark Barker on the site and part of the garth: some of the houses and the garden ground “at present unoccupied”, the others occupied by Robert Hall, William Souter, George Sanderson, John Kay, Mary Lamb, Jackson Richardson, John Wild and Thomas Shaw:  bounded by house & lands bel to Rev Richard Shepherd to E & S, by Arthur Douglas and townstreet to N & W


‘Stokesley News & Cleveland Reporter’, 1 Jul 1844:
Births:  On Friday, June 14th, at Hutton Rudby, the wife of Mr Mark Lawson, of a son


John Lamb, yeoman of Rudby, was the grandson & devisee of Christopher Legg; Legg had purchased East Side ppty in 1758, which Lamb sold in 1779

Tithe Map:  Middleton:  Thomas Legg occupies 4-9, 15, 18-33:  present day Middleton Lodge (landlord George Wyndham)

1840 Whites:  Middleton:  Thomas Legg, farmer

1841 Census:  Butter Hill:  Thomas Legg 40 farmer and family, with Henry Jameson 25, Thomas Mankin 14, John Wilson 12, Ann Saddler 40, Mary Clemshire 14, servants and Rachael Hugill 18 indep [?]


4 Oct 1819:  Francis Leith was a previous occupant of a cottage bought by John Braithwaite [East Side deeds]


Mrs Lennard of Leven House laid the foundation stone of the Primitive Methodist rebuilt chapel 1 Jun 1887 [G Milburn’s notes on chapel]


Ann, dau of Thomas Lincoln, butcher, and his wife Ann was baptised by Mr Barlow on 16 Sep 1832

1840 Whites:  Hutton Rudby:  Isabella Lincoln, farmer; William Lincoln, farmer

1841 Census:  Ann Lincoln 30 grocer, Ann 9 and John 7, and Elizabeth Tones 30 dressmaker, South Side

1851 Census:  South Side:  Ann Lincoln widow 43 grocer, and children Ann 18 dressmaker and John 17 saddler apprentice, all b Hutton
1851 Census:  Broad Carr House:  George Lincoln 43 farmer of 215 acres employing 4 labourers b Easby and wife Jane 45 b Crathorne;  with mother Isabella Lincoln widow 80 retired farmer b Stokesley, nephew William Pickering 17 farm servant b Kirklevington and niece Alice Wetford 16 house servant b Crathorne;  also farm servants John Cundill 21 b West Rounton and William Barker 14 b Hutton Rudby
1851 Census:  Burnt House:  William Lincoln 42 farmer of 162 acres employing 2 labourers b Easby and wife Alice 41 b Kirkleatham with son John Lincoln 16 b Hutton Rudby;  and farm servant John Tinkler 17 b Faceby and house servant Ann Peart 15 b Maltby

1841-61 (inc) Census:  Broad Carr:  Lincoln
1841 & 1851 Census:  Burnt House:  Lincoln


James Longstaff was farmer at Whacker/Hutton Manor
James Longstoff signed the election of churchwardens and a church rate of 5 ½ per pound on 24 April 1832

1840 Whites:  Hutton Rudby:  James Longstaff, farmer

1851 Census:  main street, Hutton:  James Longstaff W 85 retd farmer bAyton, daughter Elizabeth Bousfield M 58 bAyton, her husband Edward 53 ag lab bSeamer, and their daughter Ann Mary S 21 ag lab bAyton


1871 Census:  Primrose Cottage (possibly Linden Lodge):  Thomas Longthorn 36 farmer 7 a b Northallerton and wife Ann 36 b Stokesley


1823 Baines:  Hutton:  Michael Low, farmer
1841 Census:  Hutton Field House:  Lowe
1851 Census:  Hutton Field House:  Michael Lowe 68 b Linthorpe and wife Ann 67 b Hilton
1861 Census:  Hutton Field House:  Lowe


FQ 435:  26 & 27 Mar 1830:  house on East Side:  Baillieur to Lowther:  formerly occ by Thomas Sanderson, then by Thomas Shaw and now by Robert Tweddle:  bounded by Joseph Whorlton to N, by Thomas Passman to S, by street to W

16 Jul 1846:  conveyance by William Lowther of Faceby labourer, the brother & heir-at-law of John Lowther late of Seamer innkeeper decd (1) Rev Isaac Benson (2) John Richardson of Hutton joiner (3).  John Lowther left a widow, Margaret [East Side deeds]


Richd Lythe bought Charity Spelling book for 1d in List – Middleton Book
Robert Lythe bought a Catechism for 1d in List – Middleton Book
R Lyth was in A List of Boys – Middleton Book

1841 Census:  John Lythe 20 journeyman shoemaker, Harriot Lythe 25 and Elizabeth Richardson 5, near the Wheatsheaf
1841 Census:  Mary Lythe 43 baker, Ann 12, Joseph Richardson 40 and William Russell 55 shoe maker journeyman, South Side

1851 Census:  South Side:  Joseph Richardson 58 ass collier, Mary 53, stepdaughter Ann Lythe 22 servant, and her sons William Lythe 2 and John Lythe 11 mths, with lodger Henry Salvin 8;  all b Hutton

Oddfellows Board:  PG:  William Lythe, Hutton, 18 Feb 1848, a32
Oddfellows Board:  Bro:  John Lythe, Rudby, 9 Jan 1882, a62

John Lythe was a boot & shoe maker.  He lived on North Side for the 1851 & 1861 Censuses;  on Rudby Road in 1871;  and at Bankfoot, Rudby in 1881
Robert Lythe was a shoe maker, and lived and in 1902 died at Skeeby, near Richmond
Richard Lythe was a blacksmith, lived in Great Broughton from 1841 to 1881.
Ann Lythe married James Salvin, paper maker of Richmond

No comments:

Post a Comment