Monday, 22 April 2013

People of Hutton Rudby in the C18/19: Mease to Mundale

... from my working notes ... accuracy not guaranteed ... for explanatory note, see post of 14 Feb 2013



Mease

Mease Brothers bought Hutton mill to convert to a water-powered flax-mill in 1834, but were affected by the recession and it closed ca 1844.

John Mease’s grandfather Solomon Mease (1731-1801) b Great Ayton, married Jane Humphrey and had 4 children.  He was the son of a weaver and trained as a weaver himself.  He inherited money and his wife brought him a good portion, but in the words of his son John, his “love for cards and drink was such that he was sold up in a few years”.  He joined the army and served as a sergeant in the American Wars.  Solomon’s son John Mease (1767-1849) was a grocer in Stokesley.  He married Isabella Turnbull, and they had 5 children:  Thomas, Isabella, John, Rachel and Mary.  His very interesting diary contains many references to the religious problems of the day and to Methodism.

John Mease jnr introduced handloom weaving of Table Cloths and Napkins in Stokesley in about 1820.  He had a small weaving shed behind his house (now Barclays Bank)

1823 Baines:  “a mill, which Messrs Thomas & John Mease are now erecting, to be worked by the power of steam”

1832:  John Mease bought land and old buildings on Levenside, Stokesley, to build his new mill.  John & Thomas Mease and Mr Blackett, a Leeds engineer whose son married Thomas’s daughter, built the mill by July 1833.  A new steam engine was installed and a large gasometer for lighting:  gas was piped over to Red House, where Thomas lived.  But the partnership failed, by Mar 1838 the affair was in Chancery, and the Stokesley mill closed.  Thomas joined with John in the Hutton Rudby venture, where John had bought the former paper mill, and was preparing to install machinery to weave sailcloth.  Their business was seriously affected by a severe depression which began in 1837.  Whites 1840 states that the flax mill employed 250 hands.  Thomas Pilter, the son of Isabella Mease, ran the mill at this point; he later founded a firm himself and his son became Sir John Pilter of Halifax.  By 1851 the mill is said to have reverted to corn milling. 

Thomas Mease (1792-1862) was a gifted artist, inventive with his hands, a speculator and inventor, and often had to take his family abroad to avoid his creditors.  He lived variously in Stokesley and Hutton Rudby.

Joseph Mellanby Mease (1827-1928) was the son of Thomas.  Well-educated and well-read, he had lost an arm in an accident in one of his father’s flour mills – according to a newspaper article written in his old age, it was the Hutton mill.  Joseph Mease was chief clerk at the chemical works in Jarrow owned by a member of the family.  He came to the village in 1858 as manager of a corn mill “on the site on which the police-constable’s house now stands”.  Three years later he lost his arm through his sleeve being caught in the machinery.

Joseph Mease’s wife ran a school, assisted by her daughter Jenny.  Mrs Mease’s school is mentioned in the Hutton School log book in 1879.

John Mease and his family lived in Hutton Rudby, where he rebuilt the old mill house as Leven House.

1841 Census:  John Mease 40 merchant and Mary Mease 30 and Edward 4 (not born in county) in the household of Thomas Pilter

11 May 1868:  Codling mortgage:  North Side ppty bounded by John Mease to W and Miss Righton and George Davison to E, and occupied by James Stephenson

1872 Post Office Directory:  Rudby:  Joseph Mellanby Mease, registrar of births & deaths

“Given by Mr Mease” 2s 6d “Sacrament Money” in Lent 1873

John Mease died 1876 and his wife Hannah Maria Geldart in 1851:  tablet in church

Joseph Mellanby Mease was the registrar who recorded the death of Mr Barlow in 1878.  
In ‘Northern Primitive Methodism’, there is a reference to a Mr  Mellanby in Greenhow.

EB 38:  1816:  Henry Mellanby of Stockton gent was witness




Meek

18 Jul 1828:  Lease (preliminary deed for convce):  house on Enterpen corresponding with Tithe Map 232 ie at the end of the old terrace near the Station Hotel:  John Sidgwick of Great Broughton yeoman, son & devisee of John Sidgwick of Enterpen linen manufacturer decd (1) Edward Meynell the younger of Enterpen weaver (2):  sale of 2 houses with garden behind on Enterpen:  occ by John Sidgwick decd, and now by Thomas Hawman and James Meek:  bounded by land of John Sidgwick of Broughton to E & N, by Sarah Sidgwick to W, by road to S:  part of ppty conveyed to John Sidgwick the grandfather of John Sidgwick of Broughton in deeds 15 & 16 May 1779, the release made between George Flintoff & Ann Flintoff widow (1) and John Sidgwick the grandfather (2)

1840 Whites:  Hutton Rudby:  James Meek, George IV, Enterpen
1840 Whites:  Hutton Rudby:  wheelwrights &c:  James Meek

1841 Census:  Enterpen:  James Meek 40 innkeeper & joiner, Mary 40, with children Mary 18 and Hannah 15, with John Wake joiner’s apprentice

 ‘The Cleveland Repertory’ 1 Aug 1843:
“Police Intelligence.  July 22nd, - Present Robt Hildyard and Wm Mauleverer, Esqrs.  Upon hearing the complaint of Jno Wake, an apprentice to Jas Meek, of Hutton Rudby, against the said James Meek, for having on the 12th ult, illtreated him, the said Jno Wake – ordered that he be forthwith discharged from his apprenticeship, and that the said James Meek, pay the costs.”

1851 Census:  Enterpen:  Christopher Meek 42 machine maker b Crathorne and wife Mary 38 b Preston, Durham, and children John 16 apprentice b Yarm, Elizabeth 10 b Thirsk, Hannah 8 b Thirsk, Sarah Jane 5 b Thirsk and Anne Maria 1 b Hutton Rudby
1851 Census:  Enterpen:  Mary Meek widow 55 innkeeper b Ayton and daughter Hannah Meek 23 b Hutton Rudby, with grandson William Chapman 11 mths b Sexhow

Meek “committed a trespass” with Jackson in Mr Barlow’s field in May 1856 – Barlow’s Notebook

early 1861:  Robert Braithwaite snr had property in Enterpen, which was occupied by Christopher Meek, Henry Elliott and Robert jnr [East Side deeds]

1872 Post Office Directory:  Hutton Rudby:  Christopher Meek, wheelwright


Merrington

William Merrington occupied a house and land just below Tisbut Row, owned by Thomas Spence
GG 130:  31 Oct 1835:  Thomas Spence of Hutton weaver & Dorothy his wife (1) Henry Collins of Stokesley gent (2):  2 houses now used as one, the weaver’s shop adjoinging & the garden or orchard of 1r behind, occ by Thomas Spence; the butcher’s shop adjoining the weaver’s shop occ by William Sherwood:  bounded by Lord Falkland to E, street to W, Mrs Kingston to N, Edmund Taylor to S; also Gowdie/Gowlay Hill Garth 1a with cowhouse occ by Thomas Richardson:  bounded by John Charlton to E, by Francis Stainthorpe to W, by street to N, by Jane Willans & Edward Meynell to S; also house with garden & garth behind 2r, occ by William Merrington:  bounded by street to E, William Wood to W, John Seamer to N, John Rymers & Francis Stainthorpe to S; also 3 closes formerly 2 closes called the Cottager 7a, previously occ by William Braithwaite as tenant to William Spence decd:  bounded by Robert Halliday Dobson to E, George Hunter & William Ableson to W, by Rounton road to N, by Richard Johnson to S; “& all other the messuages lands tenements and hereditaments formerly belonging to Thomas Smith late of Hutton yeoman decd and comprised in his Will”

1841 Census:  William Merrington 40 linen weaver and family, Tisbut Row

1851 Census:  Tisbut Row:  Alice Merrington weaver’s widow 58 b Lofthouse, and children John 21 handloom weaver linen and George 14 winder for weaver, both b Hutton


Merryweather

George Merryweather was the nephew of B D Suggitt, and inherited Tunstall Ground / Suggitt Grove / Linden Grove in 1822.  Merryweather, doctor of Whitby, married Jane Anderson Loy, daughter of Dr Loy of Whitby, and related to the Loys of Great Ayton and Stokesley.

Barlow rented Linden Grove on his arrival in the village
Mr Merryweather gave £2 to Rudby School, year beginning 24 Oct 1833 – Middleton Book
Mr Merryweather gave £1 to Rudby School, Oct 24th 1832 – Middleton Book


Metcalfe

1841 Census:  Middleton Hall:  Thomas Metcalfe 20 servant with Thomas Righton
Thomas Metcalfe was churchwarden 1862-8; the churchwarden named in the Call Book 1861
1872 Post Office Directory:  Sexhow:  Thomas Metcalfe, farmer


Meynell

The Meynell family seems to have been resident in Crathorne in the C18.  The first Meynell burial at Hutton Rudby is in 1805 [NBI]. 

4 Sep 1791:  Edward and Martha Meynell’s daughter Mary, baptised at the parish church on 4 Sep 1791 with the note “A Papist”.  She had been baptised a week earlier at the Catholic church in Crathorne.  Her siblings Elizabeth 1784, Edward 1787, James 1793 and Martha 1806 were all baptised at Crathorne Catholic church.  Edward was also baptised in the Anglican church.

1811-1823:  There were several Meynell marriages in Hutton Rudby:  Martha married James Hood 9 Dec 1823 at Hutton Rudby:  they had five children, baptised Catholic, three at Crathorne and two in Stockton.  William Meynell married Eleanor/Helen Moss on 13 Sep 1823:  they had seven children, baptised Catholic at Crathorne.  Jane Mennell married William Hansell on 7 Jun 1818.  Mary married Reuben Bainbridge on 18 Nov 1811:  they had twelve children, baptised Catholic at Crathorne.
The Hood, Hansell and Bainbridge children were confirmed at the Crathorne Catholic church on 22 Jun 1833.

1823 Baines:  Hutton:  Edward Meynell, wheelwright
1823 Baines:  Hutton:  Edward Meynell, vict. Board

1828:  Edward Meynell the younger weaver of Enterpen bought the two houses at the end of the Station Hotel terrace from John Sidgwick

18 Jul 1828:  Lease (preliminary deed for convce):  house on Enterpen corresponding with Tithe Map 232 ie at the end of the old terrace near the Station Hotel:  John Sidgwick of Great Broughton yeoman, son & devisee of John Sidgwick of Enterpen linen manufacturer decd (1) Edward Meynell the younger of Enterpen weaver (2):  sale of 2 houses with garden behind on Enterpen:  occ by John Sidgwick decd, and now by Thomas Hawman and James Meek:  bounded by land of John Sidgwick of Broughton to E & N, by Sarah Sidgwick to W, by road to S:  part of ppty conveyed to John Sidgwick the grandfather of John Sidgwick of Broughton in deeds 15 & 16 May 1779, the release made between George Flintoff & Ann Flintoff widow (1) and John Sidgwick the grandfather (2)

11 Sep 1828:  bap of Eleanor Meynell, dau of William, cartwright, and Eleanor

FQ 249:  13 & 14 Mar 1829:  exors of Wayne to Barker:  the Carpenters Arms with the cartwrights shop and stable on the west end thereof, the garden and the privy on the south & backside of the premises, bounded by road to East Rounton to E, by Mrs Elizabeth Hildreth to W & S, by road to East Rounton, John Robinson and Mr Farnaby to N – occ by Edward Meynell;  the garth occ by Edward Meynell, bounded by Elizabeth Hildreth to E, by John Burdon to W, by Thomas Passman, Elizabeth Hildreth, Mr Kendall & William Spence to N, by road to East Rounton to S; the site where buildings lately occupied by John & Hannah Kay & taken down by Mark Barker stood; the garth now used as garden ground to the E & backside of the sd site;  the new houses built by Mark Barker on the site and part of the garth: some of the houses and the garden ground “at present unoccupied”, the others occupied by Robert Hall, William Souter, George Sanderson, John Kay, Mary Lamb, Jackson Richardson, John Wild and Thomas Shaw:  bounded by house & lands bel to Rev Richard Shepherd to E & S, by Arthur Douglas and townstreet to N & W

27 Dec 1830:  bap of Elizabeth Meynell, dau of John, wright, and Elizabeth

GG 130:  31 Oct 1835:  Thomas Spence of Hutton weaver & Dorothy his wife (1) Henry Collins of Stokesley gent (2):  2 houses now used as one, the weaver’s shop adjoinging & the garden or orchard of 1r behind, occ by Thomas Spence; the butcher’s shop adjoining the weaver’s shop occ by William Sherwood:  bounded by Lord Falkland to E, street to W, Mrs Kingston to N, Edmund Taylor to S; also Gowdie/Gowlay Hill Garth 1a with cowhouse occ by Thomas Richardson:  bounded by John Charlton to E, by Francis Stainthorpe to W, by street to N, by Jane Willans & Edward Meynell to S; also house with garden & garth behind 2r, occ by William Merrington:  bounded by street to E, William Wood to W, John Seamer to N, John Rymers & Francis Stainthorpe to S; also 3 closes formerly 2 closes called the Cottager 7a, previously occ by William Braithwaite as tenant to William Spence decd:  bounded by Robert Halliday Dobson to E, George Hunter & William Ableson to W, by Rounton road to N, by Richard Johnson to S; “& all other the messuages lands tenements and hereditaments formerly belonging to Thomas Smith late of Hutton yeoman decd and comprised in his Will”

William Menill bought a Catechism for 1d in the List – Middleton Book
Mary Menill bought a book for ½d in the List – Middleton Book
William and Mary Mennil appear in the “List of those who bought books” (presumed to date from ca1830-2) – they bought catechisms, which suggests that the children were receiving an Anglican education.

Tithe Map:  Edward Meynell occupied the Carpenters Arms, owned by Mark Barker
Tithe Map:  William Meynell and others occupied Barkers Row

18 Aug 1838:  Will of Mark Barker named Edward Meynell the younger of Hutton, weaver, as an executor; he renounced probate after Barker’s death in Jan 1839 [HR Wills]

1840 Whites:  Hutton Rudby:  Edward Mennell, Plough
1840 Whites:  Hutton Rudby:  wheelwrights &c:  Edward Mennell

1841 Census:  Hutton Rudby, near the Wheatsheaf:  William Meynell 45 cartwright, wife Ellen 45 (not b Yorks), and children Robert 11, George 9, Edward 6, Jane 4 and Eleanor 2
1841 Census:  Carpenters Arms:  Edward Meynell 75 publican & wright, Martha 75, Edward 50 weaver, Mary 20 dressmaker, William 15 cartwright, and Jane 15
1841 Census:  Farm House, Middleton:  Hannah Mennell 15 servant with John Tweddle

GZ 204:  2 May 1842:  Thomas Spence late of Hutton weaver but now of Middlesbrough baker & shopkeeper (1) John Snowdon of Stokesley shoemaker (2) Thomas Sidgwick of Hutton linen manufacturer (3) George Wilson of Hutton linen manufacturer (4) reciting indres of 1839:  John Snowdon had lent Thomas Spence £90 with £4-17-5d interest also owing, on Spence’s property on East Side:  Spence sold Sidgwick the house (formerly 2 houses) & garden for £180, the mortgage to be paid off:  the garden & orchard to be sold to Sidgwick was staked out and contained 33 p; previously occ by Thomas Spence and now by William Meynell; the rest to be sold to John Oates; mortgagee George Wilson

GZ 206:  May 1842:  Thomas Spence to John Oates for £50:  the 2 shops, one formerly a weaver’s shop and now a carpenter’s and the other a butcher’s shop, with the ground behind now staked out and measuring 9 p:  now occ by William Meynell, William Sherwood and John Oates:  bounded by Thomas Sidgwick’s purchase from Spence to E & N, by street to W, Edmund Taylor to S; mortgagee George Wilson

23 May 1842:  Mary Meynell dressmaker a24 married James Sidgwick weaver. 

‘Stokesley News & Cleveland Reporter’, 1 Jun 1844:
Deaths:  On Tuesday, May 7th, at Hutton Rudby, Mr Edward Meynell, aged 80 years
Grave384 – not in PRs

1853:  George Meynell married Jane Ann Lowe of Hutton; he is described as being of Kirklevington, but was the son of William the wheelwright. 

1851 Census:  East Side, Bensons Yard:  William Meynel W 54 carpenter, children Robert 21 journeyman carpenter, Jane 14 and Elen 12, and grandchildren William Moss 10 and Robert Moss 6 [their surnames appear in the transcript as Moss, but 1861C they are Meynell]:  all born Hutton
1851 Census:  Enterpen:  Edward Meynell single 64 hand loom weaver and sister Jane Hansell widow 48 housekeeper, both b Hutton Rudby

1861 Census:  East End, Main Street:  William Meynell widower 66 house carpenter, children Robert 31 house carpenter, and Eleanor Corner 22 shoemaker’s wife, with grandsons Edward Meynell 2 [born to Eleanor before marriage?], William 19 carpenter and Robert 15 carpenter
1861 Census:  Enterpen:  Edward Meynell 70 retd linen weaver and sister Jane Hansell widow 58, with lodger Martha Sidgwick 8

10 Mar 1862:  burial of Edward Meynell aged 75

28 Nov 1863:  William Meynell occupied a house and joiners shop on East Side, a little south of Robert Meynell’s property, mortgaged by J A Benson. 

1871 Census:  Bay Horse:  Robert Meynell 40 carter & publican, wife Margaret 43 [nee Wiles, late Braithwaite], children Elizabeth 5, Frederick 4, Herbert 2 and Martha 9 mths, with stepdaughter Sarah Braithwaite 10
1871 Census:  East End:  William Meynell widower 74 cartwright, with daughter Mrs Eleanor Corner 32 housekeeper and her children Edward Corner 12, Eleanor 8, Esther 4 and William 9 mths
1871 Census:  North End:  Jane Hansell annuitant 68

1872 Post Office Directory:  Hutton Rudby:  Robert Meynell, Bay Horse, & wheelwright & joiner
1872 Post Office Directory:  Hutton Rudby:  William Meynell, joiner & wheelwright

27 Nov 1876:  Robert Meynell occupied a workshop and buildings at the north end of East Side [East Side deeds] 

8 Jan 1878:  burial of Jane Hansell [NBI]

1881 Census:  Enterpen:  Robert Meynell, 50, joiner and builder, b Hutton Rudby, with his wife and family, and his 3 year old granddaughter b Mbro
1881 Census:  Bank Top:  Helen Corner (married) 42 charwoman, her father William Meynell widower 84 formerly joiner, her children Vincent 10, Agusta 7 and Dorcas 3 Corner;  all b Hutton Rudby

14 Jun 1887:  burial of Edward Meynell aged 53.  He was probably the Edward Meynell, 46, b Hutton Rudby, Chelsea Pensioner and tailor, who is listed in the 1881 Census as married, with a 15 year old son Robert, a wood turner b Dover Castle, Kent


Middlemass

“Middlemass ill 0-1-0” – Sacrament Money 1868 – Barlow’s Notebook


Milburn

1841 Census:  Thomas Milburn 25 linen weaver, Elizabeth 20 and John 1, North End
1841 Census:  Martha Milburn 14 servant at Rudby Mill
1841 Census:  John Milburn 45 labourer and family, cottage, Rudby

‘The Cleveland Repertory’ 1 Sep 1844:
Marriages:  on Thursday, the 22nd ult, at Hutton Rudby, by the Rev Ralph Grenside, Mr Benjamin Willis Harker, Linen Draper, and Silk Mercer, of High Ousegate, York, to Ellen, the youngest daughter of Mrs Milbourn, of Hutton Rudby

John Milburn b1824 with his family lived in Hartlepool in 1871 Census, near William Davison b1802 HR.

Mary Ellen Milburn b1850, dau of Thomas Milburn, marr Robert Maughan.  He worked for the Wilsons’ mill and was very active in the Primitive Methodist Chapel.  They had no children. 

1851 Census:  North End:  Thomas Milburn widower 35 handloom weaver linen b Whorlton and children John 11 handloom weaver linen, William 9 and Mary 7, all b Hutton

20 Nov 1855:  Eland to Codling:  Mustard Garth 1r 28p:  previously occ by Hannah Kay widow, then by Thomas Eland, now used as allotment gardens occupied by John Sidgwick, Robert Preston, Anthony Smith, Anthony Smith jnr, Thomas Milburn, Thomas Crook and Christopher Garbutt


Milestone

1823 Baines:  Rudby:  Thomas Milestone, shoemaker

FS 461:  2 & 3 Feb 1831:  cottage 5a:  occ by Thomas Millstone at £12-3s p.a

Thomas Milston bought a Catechism for 1d in the List – Middleton Book
T Milestone was in A List of Boys – Middleton Book

1841 Census:  Thomas Milestone 55 shoe maker, Martha 55 and Thomas 17 gardener, cottage, Rudby
1841 Census:  Robert Milestone 14 servant at Rudby Farm

1851 Census:  Rudby:  Thomas Milestone W 72 shoemaker, with Thomas 28 gardener bRudby, Mary 27 bHutton, Martha 3 bRudby and Ruben 2mths bRudby
1851 Census:  Rudby:  Robert Milestone 25 bRudby ag lab and Mary 21 b Bilsdale

20 Nov 1855:  Eland to Codling:  the garth on North Side of 1a 2r 28p with the 6 messuages formerly in 3 tenements with barn, cowhouse & carpenter’s shop occ by Thomas Milestone, - Kearsley, George Snary, Nicholas Jackson, John Mudd, Robert Batty and James Eland

1871 Census:  Hutton House:  George Wilson 60 sailcloth mfr emp 24 men & 9 women & landowner, Ann 55, Allan Bowes 31 and Thomas Bowes 26 both sailcloth mfrs;  cook Ann Milestone 18 b Hutton and housemaid Mary Jackson 18 b Hutton

Thomas Milestone was Skutterskelfe gardener in the 1871 census

Hannah (Ann) Davison (1799-1889) married John Ainsley (1795-1866).  He was born in Sedgefield; an agricultural labourer.  Hannah is a cowkeeper with 6a in the 1881 census.  Buried in Rudby.  Their children were Hannah (Ann), William, John, and Elizabeth Ainsley.  Hannah Ainsley (1832-?) was a scullery maid at Stokesley Manor House in 1851 Census.  William Ainsley (1834-?) was a farm labourer 1861 census Rudby; he married Mariane.  Their son William, b Stainton 1865, married Catharine Charlton of Hutton Rudby, and on her early death Frances Ann Cowen of Enterpen.  He is in the 1897 Rudby estate photograph.  He is buried at Rudby with both wives.  His children died in infancy.  John Ainsley (1836-7).  Elizabeth Ainsley (1843-1933) married a widower, Robert Milestone (1825-1905) gardener, Rudby.  'Mrs Milestone' is in the 1897 Rudby estate photograph.


Miller

1823 Baines:  Rudby:  John Miller, weaver

FQ 560:  2 & 3 Nov 1829:  ppty bought by Jane Willans widow in Enterpen:  garth of 1r 3p where a cottage formerly stood, formerly occ by John Miller, then by George Wilson, Mary Young & Hannah Young, then by Matthew Richardson jnr, then by John Burden, bounded by Thomas Wayne to N, E & W, and by street called Enterpen to S; with the houses “lately erected upon the garth” & now occupied by Simeon Burden, John Smelt, Paul Oates, John Goldsbrough, William Jowsey, Abraham Holdgate and William Burnsides

FS 461:  2 & 3 Feb 1831:  Frances Miller had been a tenant of Rudby estate

FS 461:  2 & 3 Feb 1831:  cottage 28p:  occ by Fanny Miller at £2-1s p.a


Millers (cornmillers)

1841:  William Barton, at Rudby Mill?, employing John Sharp
1851:  Joseph Middleton, master miller, Rudby mill, bMiddleton St George; Thomas Gears at Mill House; Thomas Stringer, journeyman miller, in Rudby village
1861:  Michael Middleton, cornmiller, and Thomas Stringer in Rudby village; Thomas Mease at Bank Bottom, Hutton; Joseph Mease at Mill House, Rudby
1871:  Thomas Stringer in Rudby village; Robert Foster & family in Enterpen; John Mease at Mill House; Joseph Mease at Mill House, Rudby
1881:  no working miller in village?  Joseph Mease’s house now called Leven Valley


Mitchinson


“Warrant for apprehension:  George Sidgwick of Rudby, weaver, reputed father of son of Jane Mitchinson for non-payment of £21-13-2 under a maintenance order for payment of £1-15-0 lying-in expenses and 2/- per week 20 Jan 1831”

1851 Census:  Enterpen:  Jane Mitchinson single 64 outdoor labourer b Elton, Durham


Mohun

Betty Mohun’s debts to Mr Barlow have many entries in the Middleton Book


Moon

Churchwardens’ accounts 1838:  “Robt Moon Glazier for Do. & Soldring Leads £5-12-3d] [ditto=New Window]


Mooras

1872 Post Office Directory:  Sexhow:  Misses Mooras, Old Hall


Morrill

FS 461:  2 & 3 Feb 1831:  William Morrill had been a tenant of Rudby estate


Morton

S Morton was in A List of Boys – Middleton Book


Moss

Robert Moss occupied the Shoulder of Mutton on North Side in 1823 (deed ET 293)

1823 Baines:  Hutton:  Robert Moss, vict.  Black Swan

William Meynell married Eleanor/Helen Moss on 13 Sep 1823:  they had seven children, baptised Catholic at Crathorne. 

ET 293:  21 Mar 1823:  sale of ppty of Samuel Hebbron late of Hutton nr Rudby butcher dealer & chapman now or late a prisoner in the gaol of the Castle of York:  being the Shoulder of Mutton public house [predecessor of King’s Head], occ by Samuel Hebbron, then by David Hebbron & now by Robert Moss:  bounded by Thomas Whorlton and Thomas Jackson, Thomas Cust, B D Sugget and Thomas Wayne to W and N, by street to S, by Thomas Jackson to E; also the stable; a close of 5a 2p bounded by William Wood to N, by William Dawson to E, W & S, and occupied by William Dawson; also land in Potto

FB 195:  19 & 20 Nov 1824:  Bay Horse area ppties bought by James Catchasides jnr, Robert Moss being an occupier

FP 310:  12 & 13 Feb 1830:  Catchasides sale of Bay Horse ppties to Thomas Hall, Robert Moss an occupier


Mudd

James Mudd was a tenant of the Tweddle property at the east end of North Side in 1815 and was still a tenant of James Flounders, occupying a garden in the Stringers Row area in the Tithe Map

28 Sep 1835:  Will of John Braithwaite:  he left a house occupied by son Robert (except a room built over a coalhouse occ by tenant Richard Simpson) with garden & privy;  a house occupied by Richard Simpson (except the room beforementioned);  house lately occupied by William Mudd and now unoccupied.  [East Side deeds]

1840 Whites:  Hutton Rudby:  John Mudd, boot & shoe maker

1851 Census:  South Side:  John Mudd 36 shoemaker, Rachel 31, and children Robert 11, James 7, Elizabeth 5 and Edward 3;  all b Hutton

20 Nov 1855:  Eland to Codling:  the garth on North Side of 1a 2r 28p with the 6 messuages formerly in 3 tenements with barn, cowhouse & carpenter’s shop occ by Thomas Milestone, - Kearsley, George Snary, Nicholas Jackson, John Mudd, Robert Batty and James Eland


Mundale

EO 107:  11 & 12 Aug 1820:  land near Jakebarn, recently purchased by Thomas Jackson from Simon Kelsey, bounded by George Mundell’s land to S

ET 258:  7 & 8 Jan 1823:  southern part of land occ by Mundell and bought by him from Simon Kelsey:  parties:  George Mundell of Hutton gardener, John Thompson of Faceby yeoman, William Jackson of Hutton tailor, Robert Brigham of Rudby gent and William Wood of Hutton gent:  bounded by land bought by John & Thomas Sidgwick from Sir Wm Hy Pennyman to E,  by Mr Sanders and Mr Wigham to W, by northern part of land bel to Thomas & William Jackson to N, by Simon Kelsey to S

1823 Baines:  Hutton:  George Mundale, gardener
1823 Baines:  Hutton:  carriers:  G Mundale to Stockton, every Wed.

1840 Whites:  Hutton Rudby:  George Mundell, gardener

1841 Census:  George Mundale 60 gardener born out of county, Mary 58, Elizabeth 25 dressmaker, Ann 20 dressmaker, North Side

1851 Census:  North Side:  George Mundell 72 market gardener b Bishop Auckland and Mary 68 b Hutton

George Davison (1790-1860) shoemaker, Rudby, married Ann Bage (1780-1853).  He left £450 on his death.  Buried in Rudby.  Their children were Ann and George.  Ann  (1816-1855) married Thomas Stringer.  George (1817-1871), shoe maker, Rudby, married Mary Ann Mundell (1817-1882)  Buried in Rudby (issue).











No comments:

Post a Comment